Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
S9 humidifier - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: S9 humidifier (/Thread-S9-humidifier)

Pages: 1 2

S9 humidifier - Harryl - 10-27-2012

Can anybody give me some advice on the s9 humidifier

mine seems to not be working

does it heat up by itself or must you hold down the button and manully
head the water

thanks
Harry

RE: S9 humidifier - PaulaO2 - 10-27-2012

Has it worked before? What hose are you using? And what button are you holding down?

RE: S9 humidifier - archangle - 10-27-2012

Start using the machine. Turn the knob until the humidity level is at the maximum. (6 if you don't have a heated hose.) Run it a while and then shut it off and see if the water is warm.

I think the S9's sense humidity or something and don't turn on the heat if the air is humid.

RE: S9 humidifier - zonk - 10-27-2012

(10-27-2012, 02:56 PM)Harryl Wrote: Can anybody give me some advice on the s9 humidifier

mine seems to not be working

does it heat up by itself or must you hold down the button and manully
head the water

thanks
Harry
you could run a simple test to check if the humidifier is working
disconnect the hose and remove the water tank
make sure the machine is not running and has not been on for a while
turn the dial till humidity level displayed on screen
set the warm-up mode .. .bottom bar says "warming up"
blue light inside the humidifier turn orange
allow to run for a minute
place your hand above the heater plate (be careful .. can get very hot)
once you confirm its working ... press/hold dial for 3 sec to cool down

RE: S9 humidifier - Harryl - 10-27-2012

Paul thanks
I guess I have done that and it does get hot. However it seems not to get hot
During regular use. Is it sensing humidity and just not heating up in the automatic process

Thanks
Harry

RE: S9 humidifier - PaulaO2 - 10-27-2012

The water will get only slightly warmer than tepid. You will not see 'steam' like with non-CPAP humidifiers.

I have no idea how Resmed machines value the humidity.

I've never noticed the moisture nor temperature of the air while the machine and the mask are on. The only "proof" I have of it working (other than the obvious warm tank) is the rainout. But the ClimateLine hose stopped that.

RE: S9 humidifier - Harryl - 10-28-2012

Paul
I have a similar experience and the only way I can tell if its working is that the water level is reduced. But recently the wAter level is not reducing or so it would appear. I'll have to do some more investigation. Meanwhile I picked up a bit of a cold and am really not using the machine. Can sleep a little here and there without it so I choose that over trying to deal with head congestion and a mask.

RE: S9 humidifier - PaulaO2 - 10-28-2012

Have you tried using the machine and mask? I find it is easier to breathe! The air pushing the gunk clear of the nose and the humidity helps as well.

And yes, sometimes it seems as though it didn't use any water at all, other times it empties it. I dunno. Wish I could help!

RE: S9 humidifier - A KLERK - 12-20-2012

Although I have an S8, I think I can solve the question for both machines. The heating plate is working for a longer time when the dial is going up. Something like: from 1 second per minute at one to 60 seconds per minute at ten (not exact numbers).
Thus the water gets warmer, depending also on the amount of water in the humidifier (if less it gets warmer). Because of that the evaporation gets more intense when the water gets warmer. The air flow over the water displaces the vapor to your nose. The result is an addition of water vapor to the existing amount.
That amount is expressed as RELATIVE humidity, meaning the percentage water vapor of the maximum amount that can exist at a certain air temperature. At low temperature the air can hold less water vapor, if it gets too high it condensates into water drops.
So if the room temperature is high (over 20 C) it could hold more vapor and the heater has more effect, if it is cold (say 10-15 C) it can hold less and the heating results in condense in the tubing.
The machines do not measure the relative humidity, only give an opportunity to add more or less water vapor.
Maybe I gave too much info, but I hope it gives more understanding.

RE: S9 humidifier - TheWerkz - 12-20-2012

(12-20-2012, 04:08 PM)A KLERK Wrote: Although I have an S8, I think I can solve the question for both machines.

<SNIP!>

The machines do not measure the relative humidity, only give an opportunity to add more or less water vapor.

A Klerk,

You are correct about your S8 NOT having a humidity sensor.

The S9 series being talked about in this thread DOES have a humidity sensor to sense the relative humidity level in the room. It only uses it when you attach an optional ClimateLine hose and then set the humidifier to AUTO, then the H5i maintains a humidity level of 80% relative humidity to the mask, there's actually 2 humidity sensors, one is located behind the lid latch button on the H5i and the other is at the end of the ClimateLine hose.

Ren