Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. (/Thread-Resmed-S9-repair-is-it-worth-the-cost)

Pages: 1 2

Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - hoser - 01-07-2018

My Resmed S9 CPAP started making a squealing noise. When I checked it had over 17k hours and has been in service for 6 years. I just received a new Airsense 10 Autoset and used it for the first time last night.

I see that I can get a new blower motor repair done for the S9 for about $200. Has anyone repaired their S9? Is it worth repairing to have as a backup?

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - Walla Walla - 01-07-2018

I think you'd be better off buying a used one that someone hardly used on craigslist.

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - Sleep2Snore - 01-07-2018

Almost sure to be the motor bearing, take it to bits and use light iol.
With that amount of hours it would be better to buy a second hand machine.

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - Mosquitobait - 01-07-2018

I agree with others. With that amount of use, you are better shopping off Craigslist or Offerup for a backup. You can easily get an S9 for between $250 and $350 with hardly any hours.

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - Sleeprider - 01-07-2018

Congrats on getting 17K hours out out or your CPAP. Would you spend $10,000 on a 10 year old car with high mileage to keep it running? That is the same as spending $200 on a 6 year old CPAP with !7K hours on it. Your answer should be obvious unless you have a romantic relationship with this machine that served you well. $200 is about 1/3 of the cost of a brand new, zero hour Airsense 10 Autoset. If your S9 is a fixed Elite CPAP, then it isn't even close. Repair costs are higher than the salvage.

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - gsykes - 01-08-2018

So, does insurance not help pay the cost of a replacement?

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - Sleeprider - 01-08-2018

gsykes, everyone's insurance is different, but most will replace a machine on a 5-year interval, or non-repairable malfunction. Your macine is due for replacement under most policies. It is going to be a lot easier if you have any documentation of your last sleep study and Rx, even if it was a long time ago. Your primary doctor can write the replacement script (mine does). Just ask him to write a renewal for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, then find out what DME (suppliers) are in-network for your insurance. Your insurance customer service or online site should have information you can use. Assuming you have the same insurance as you had for the original machine, this should be a snap. If you have new insurance, you may have to document your diagnosis and prescription.

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - gsykes - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 03:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: gsykes, everyone's insurance is different, but most will replace a machine on a 5-year interval, or non-repairable malfunction.  Your macine is due for replacement under most policies.  It is going to be a lot easier if you have any documentation of your last sleep study and Rx, even if it was a long time ago.  Your primary doctor can write the replacement script (mine does).  Just ask him to write a renewal for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, then find out what DME (suppliers) are in-network for your insurance.  Your insurance customer service or online site should have information you can use.  Assuming you have the same insurance as you had for the original machine, this should be a snap.  If you have new insurance, you may have to document your diagnosis and prescription.

I have new insurance from when I first got my CPAP. I got mine in 2013 when I was still working my former job. Don't know about my current insurance. I'll have to read up on it.

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - trish6hundred - 01-08-2018

Hi hoser,
you could take that 250 and put a bit more with it and get another AirSense 10 AutoSet for a backup machine, unless you just really like the S9 AutoSet..
Good luck on your decision.

RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost. - Zorki1c - 01-10-2018

I got an Autoset S9 recently on a local online auction for $26! It only had a couple of hundred hours on it. The usually go for about $80 on the auctions and $100-$150 on Craigs list locally. Doubt it would be worthwhile to pay $200 to get one repaired.