Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
surgery for recessive jaw - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: surgery for recessive jaw (/Thread-surgery-for-recessive-jaw)

Pages: 1 2

surgery for recessive jaw - morphmac - 10-28-2012

Hi y'all,
I was wondering if anyone out there has had mandibular advancement of the lower jaw (recessive jaw) surgery.
And if so how was it? There's a real possibility that I may need this and I'm slightly scared, so would appreciate any advice people may have on the subject.
Thanks

RE: surgery for recessive jaw - trish6hundred - 10-28-2012

Hi morphmac,
I don't know anything about that surgery but if you should have to do that, I wish you luck and success. I don't blame you for being slightly scared when it comes to surgery, I would be too.

Hang in there, I'm sure there is someone on the board more knowledgeable about this and can help you.
Again, best of luck to you.

RE: surgery for recessive jaw - PaulaO2 - 10-28-2012

Why are you having it done? Is the CPAP not getting your AHI low enough?

Personally, I'd not have such a surgery if it were suggested. Unless there were other issues regarding the jaw placement, unless my CPAP treatment wasn't working well enough, and unless I was 100% guaranteed it was the only reason I had sleep apnea and it would go away, I'd not do it.

But that's me and my opinion.

RE: surgery for recessive jaw - zonk - 10-28-2012

its not cure for sleep apnea and definitely does nothing for central sleep apnea
S9 Escape is not going tell you anything to evaluate how the therapy is going other than how many hours using machine each night
S9 Autoset and Elite would record if you,re having apnea and whether its obstructive or central also if leak is high enough to affect the therapy
maybe your doc can recommend for the NHS to exchange the machine for you

RE: surgery for recessive jaw - southernlady - 10-28-2012

(10-28-2012, 10:35 AM)morphmac Wrote: Hi y'all,
I was wondering if anyone out there has had mandibular advancement of the lower jaw (recessive jaw) surgery.
And if so how was it? There's a real possibility that I may need this and I'm slightly scared, so would appreciate any advice people may have on the subject.
Thanks
Morphmac, I had the LeFort/SSRO surgery (which advances both jaws forward) back in late March. The first week was miserable...pain killers were my friend and so were ice packs. I drank liquids thru a syringe cause the sucking motion for a straw was beyond me. I didn't advance to a straw until week three. At my 8 week check, I had a good bit of the feeling back...I still have a slightly tingly/numb feeling in my lower jaw but it's not too bad.

If you would like more info on mine, let me know by PM'ing me and I will send you my email address.

(10-28-2012, 02:10 PM)zonk Wrote: its not cure for sleep apnea and definitely does nothing for central sleep apnea
Zonk, it all depends...my sleep apnea was very mild (6 AHI) but I had hypoxia. My LeFort/SSRO (jaw surgery) did cure my hypoxia and also cured my apnea. I now test at less than 3AHI with 98% oxygen levels. Both my sleep doctor and my oral surgeon considered me cured of sleep apnea.

Liz

PAP remains the recommended first line treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
weight loss program is recommended as secondary treatment

RE: surgery for recessive jaw - southernlady - 10-28-2012

(10-28-2012, 05:00 PM)zonk Wrote: PAP remains the recommended first line treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
weight loss program is recommended as secondary treatment
My first line was a UPPP, that worked for almost 10 years in spite of being morbidly obese. It was after I got to a normal BMI that they found the hypoxia issue. To be honest, due to my anatomy and the fact that my windpipe was severely thin, jaw surgery was preferred over cpap. My windpipe is now a normal size.

While in general, cpap may be the best option, it is not always the best option for each individual. As with everything, YMMV. What works for one person may not be the best answer for the next person...some of us are zebras. (Doctors are taught, "when you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras")

(10-28-2012, 05:40 PM)southernlady Wrote: (Doctors are taught, "when you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras")
you,re correct ... zebras and horses are different Too-funny
[Image: 220px-Plains_Zebra_Equus_quagga.jpg] [Image: 250px-Nokota_Horses_cropped.jpg]

RE: surgery for recessive jaw - JJJ - 10-28-2012

(10-28-2012, 05:52 PM)zonk Wrote: you,re correct ... zebras and horses are different Too-funny

But they can interbreed.

RE: surgery for recessive jaw - SuperSleeper - 10-28-2012

(10-28-2012, 06:02 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(10-28-2012, 05:52 PM)zonk Wrote: you,re correct ... zebras and horses are different Too-funny

But they can interbreed.

Be careful... Zonk might post pics of horses and zebras interbreeding if you're not careful. Bigwink Too-funny

No Zonk, that is not a personal challenge for you to find such pics. Bigwink Dielaughing