Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
High AHI while awake? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: High AHI while awake? (/Thread-High-AHI-while-awake)

Pages: 1 2

High AHI while awake? - DanGagner - 01-16-2018

Can someone shed some light on this? I will sometimes lay awake for maybe a half hour or more early in the morning, say 5:30 or so seeing if I might doze a little more. It's my time to ponder life so I don't mind it. My breathing is even and easy during those times. When I check my AHI readings later I find that I had a great night but during those awake times are when my AHI readings are the highest. I won't post a graph of it but my AHI might be a steady 0 to 2 all night then it might jump to 5 or higher during that awake time. I've been particularly mindful of these times and am positive I'm not dozing at all. I'm fully awake and working in unison with the apap device. This happens often.

RE: High AHI while awake? - Marillion - 01-16-2018

Without seeing a sleepyhead chart it is hard to say for certain what is going on. But the only way your AHI reading can go up is if there are significant airflow restrictions or you are holding your breath for multiple periods during that time you are laying there before getting up.

RE: High AHI while awake? - Walla Walla - 01-16-2018

You suffer from awake apnea. The way to treat it is turn off the machine and get up.  Big Grin

RE: High AHI while awake? - Homerec130 - 01-16-2018

Most machines, unlike the gentleman from the North Pole, don't know when you are sleeping or awake and figure you are really asleep. When I see a higher than normal AHI in the morning I look at my charts and usually see high AHIs when I knew I was awake. One of the take aways on this is to understand what events during the night drove your AHI up and then to act accordingly. I, and my doctor, don't worry about those during the time I know I am awake, only if you see an extended period when you know you were asleep.

Homer

RE: High AHI while awake? - SarcasticDave94 - 01-16-2018

While awake, most people tend to be more erratic and uneven in breathing when compared to their sleep breathing pattern. The machine has difficulty in recording that info as it expects the breathing pattern is from a sleeping person IMO.

RE: High AHI while awake? - RLSdss - 01-16-2018

I have exactly the same experience.  Last nigh my AHI was under two most of the night but I always seem to wake at four and have a hard time going back to sleep. If I take my mask off then after seven hours sleep my AHI will be around 3. If I leave the mask on for another hour it jumps to 7 or 8 with CAs, OAs and low sat. Some call this awake junk.

RE: High AHI while awake? - DanGagner - 01-16-2018

(01-16-2018, 12:28 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: While awake, most people tend to be more erratic and uneven in breathing when compared to their sleep breathing pattern. The machine has difficulty in recording that info as it expects the breathing pattern is from a sleeping person IMO.

Thanks for that into. The time I'm awake I'm actually noticing the steady even breaths with the machine. Maybe a couple of throat clearings but nothing out of the ordinary. Wonder why it does that.

(01-16-2018, 12:18 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: Most machines, unlike the gentleman from the North Pole, don't know when you are sleeping or awake and figure you are really asleep. When I see a higher than normal AHI in the morning I look at my charts and usually see high AHIs when I knew I was awake. One of the take aways on this is to understand what events during the night drove your AHI up and then to act accordingly. I, and my doctor, don't worry about those during the time I know I am awake, only if you see an extended period when you know you were asleep.

Homer

Understood. Yes, I can differentiate that I was awake and not actually in apnea so I don't dwell on it. My question about it was just wondering why it was happening.

(01-16-2018, 11:42 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: You suffer from awake apnea. The way to treat it is turn off the machine and get up.  Big Grin

Ha.... is that a term? Yes, sometimes I do just turn it off and get up. Sometimes I turn it off and stay in bed for awhile. But, sometimes I wake up early, dark this time of year, and think that I might doze off again. Actually, I usually don't.

RE: High AHI while awake? - SarcasticDave94 - 01-16-2018

Just maybe it could be sleep/wake junk being recorded. That is, if these 2 conditions are met: 1st is you're still connected to the machine and 2nd that you are drifting between sleep and wakeful states. That tends to produce erratic breath patterns as I've heard.