Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Need help choosing the right machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Need help choosing the right machine (/Thread-Need-help-choosing-the-right-machine)

Pages: 1 2

Need help choosing the right machine - mtboy - 02-05-2018

Hi Everybody,

A little bit more then half a year I since I was diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnoea I decided to upgrade my ICON Novo basic CPAP with something automatic. My current pressure is 15 and I sleep on my face so the only mask that I can wear is minimalist nasal pillow type, everything bigger gets knocked out I even manage to remove completely the full face mask while I'm asleep! Now I always had problems with my sinus especially after my sinus polyp removal surgery and because of this my sinus got clogged while I'm asleep so I think that my pressure needs to fluctuate. This is backed up by my sleeping quality detection and snoring detection software on my IPAD. Since my sinus got worse I started to snore for 3-5 minutes every night and sometimes I loose the pressure of the mask. The truth is that I started with pressure of 10 and it was ok except few times at night. I think that I need something that could provide a little bit more then 15 for short periods of time and then go with 10 or lower when I don't need the high pressure.

Now with all of that said, my ICON CPAP was provided by NHS however my nurse refuses to prescribe me auto machine as I don't suffer from a condition that requires it according to her. And I can't use the data by the IPAD as the one from the machine shows 90% compliance. However this machine has very limited statistics it doesn't detect leaks the only thing that I could see as relevant information is when I wake up at night to go to the toilet. So far my Ipad software is extremely accurate and detects the phases of the sleep and also records the snoring if it detects it. Base on that I can see that my sleep is not optimal.

Anyway I have two options now but I really struggle to see the difference between APAP and BiPAP related to my case. It seems that both could be set with different pressure for inhale and exhale and everything else seems comparable.

Option 1 - AirCurve VAUTO used for 70 hours with new hose and water chamber for 650 USD without shipping from USA
Option 2 - DREAMSTATION AUTO brand new with humidifier, heated tube, set of accessories for a year and a mask for 720 USD without shipping from Canada

I would greatly appreciate if somebody explains to me what would be the advantage of this particular bipap against this particular apap and what would be your choice?

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - paulag1955 - 02-05-2018

I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can answer your specific question, but in the meantime, have you read this article on which machines to consider?

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Machine-Choices-read-this-before-you-accept-a-new-machine

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - mtboy - 02-05-2018

Hi Paula, yes I did, actually I even tried the free software for analysing the data from my current machine, which is kind of useless, it seems that it is extremely simple. I also argued with my nurse over a better machine - she said it's not possible due to costs reasons. Other than that the thread helped me to narrow the choices of the machine manufacturer to Philips and Res-Med latest models. At least I partially know what I want Smile.

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - tedgreen - 02-05-2018

If you want a cheap machine delivered in the UK, you can look at Supplier #2 Commercial Link Removed that has well priced almost new machines, and would give you a reasonable postage cost to the UK.

Make sure you ask for the customs label to indicate machine is CPAP, so that you won't pay import duties or VAT (or get a refund if you do).

Another option is to use a redirection service where you get a US postage address, and they forward the parcel to the UK.

I have used UsGoBuy in the past, without issues. You can for instance order from Amazon Commercial Link Removed and get it redirected that way.

Ideally, you want to get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for her, or Autoset if not available. The Resmed S9 Autoset is another option.

In term of Bipap vs. CPAP/APAP, it's mainly down to comfort: if you can tolerate a pressure of 15 with your current CPAP machine, then you probably don't need a bipap machine.

A standard Resmed machine can have an exhale relief (EPR) of up to 3 (pressure dropped by 3 when exhaling), while a bipap machine can have a much higher number.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - Sleeprider - 02-05-2018

(02-05-2018, 04:42 PM)mtboy Wrote: Hi Everybody,
....Anyway I have two options now but I really struggle to see the difference between APAP and BiPAP related to my case. It seems that both could be set with different pressure for inhale and exhale and everything else seems comparable.

Option 1 - AirCurve VAUTO used for 70 hours with new hose and water chamber for 650 USD without shipping from USA
Option 2 - DREAMSTATION AUTO brand new with humidifier, heated tube, set of accessories for a year and a mask for 720 USD without shipping from Canada

I would greatly appreciate if somebody explains to me what would be the advantage of this particular bipap against this particular apap and what would be your choice?

There is no contest here.  The Resmed Aircurve Vauto is far superior in its flexibility to treat obstructive apnea and hypopnea comfortably.  That machine will let you select an appropriate minimum EPAP pressure, pressure support and maximum pressure, and it will respond to your needs quickly. Based on what we know of your current therapy, using a minimum EPAP pressure of 12.0 with PS 4.0 and maximum pressure 20, the machine will automatically titrate in the range from 15/12 to 20/16.  It will provide full data, and it's a better form-factor than the Philips Dreamstation.  That's 100% your pick, and even a better price!

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - mtboy - 02-05-2018

Thanks Sleeprider, should I worry about the 70 hours on the machine? The seller is some store in amazon Commercial Link Removed. that other CPAP users used without a problem. Other then that I will probably need to purchase the heated hose which should not be a problem. tedgreen thanks for the great tips about the delivery, I already checked secondiwnd and it seems that at the moment the machines there are more expensive.

-----

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - tedgreen - 02-05-2018

Another option is to buy directly from Resmed.

You can get an A10 Autoset for £600, without delivery cost.

You won't need a prescription, and would get a full warranty.

Link removed, instead search MySleep by ResMed in the UK.

Secondwind has a ResMed S9 AutoSet with EPR for $379 (plus probably around $80 postage to the UK), which would be a great buy, and very similar in term of functionality to an A10 anyway. I wouldn't personally buy a CPAP machine from a third-party seller from Amazon, particularly from another country. SecondWind is a trusted seller, small business but the owner is medically trained.

In my opinion, ResMed machines are better than the Philips ones, having tried several.

70 hours on a machine is nothing, just the equivalent of 8-10 nights of usage. Those machines are designed to work for several years. Lots of people can't get used to CPAP, and therefore lots of machines are sold with very little usage.

-----

-----

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - Sleeprider - 02-05-2018

(02-05-2018, 05:10 PM)mtboy Wrote: Thanks Sleeprider, should I worry about the 70 hours on the machine? The seller is some store in amazon Commercial Link Removed. that other CPAP users used without a problem. Other then that I will probably need to purchase the heated hose which should not be a problem. tedgreen thanks for the great tips about the delivery, I already checked secondiwnd and it seems that at the moment the machines there are more expensive.
The Amazon sellers have been very reliable, and 70 hours is nothing on a machine designed to last 15000 to 18000 hours.  You are getting a very good deal in exchange.  He is passing along a good price, plus at least the 20% stocking fee he charged for the return.  I would do this without a second thought.  Best machine on the market.

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - trish6hundred - 02-05-2018

Hi mtboy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
That is a great deal on that Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto.
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.

RE: Need help choosing the right machine - jaswilliams - 02-06-2018

I bought a resmed A10 Autoset from Amazon and had it shipped to the UK took a week to come and was a great purchase just pay using paypal and you will have refund protection.