Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia (/Thread-Equipment-OSA-then-COPD-then-Bradycardia-and-now-add-hypoxemia)

OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ShaunBlake - 02-19-2018

Well, things could be worser... and will be sooner or later. But in the meantime, I'm looking forward to receiving an AutoSet 10 (37207, if it matters) from the (aw, shucks, my mind is gone... what did SarcasticDave94 call them... infamous?) whatever Avira. My sleep doctor prescribed an oxygen concentrator but I haven't seen the order, and haven't been contacted by a DME provider.

I've been using an Escape II since '12, and last week my RRT tried to set the machine for my prescription and found that it's totally FUBAR (set on 11, can't get above 9, and after an exhaust, takes ~10 seconds to climb back from <5 to 9. While that's infuriating, I've gotten by for several years (possibly the entire 5+ years!) with this machine -- what I am eager (anxious, even) to get is the O2: my O2 goes really low a number of times each night.

However, I haven't seen a script for an O2 monitor. I've read that the AS-10 has O2 monitoring capability; because of my O2 levels, I'd like to get a monitor immediately, and I'm hoping you folks can point me to a source of affordable monitors compatible with ResMed equipment. Of course, if I do get a monitor, it may get pretty dusty before the (unmentionable) Avira fulfills the order... what's the rush? They have my co-pay... mañana, amigo!

Thanks in advance!

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ajack - 02-19-2018

cms50f it records overnight. From amazon and online google etc, should be 60-$80
The bluetooth one does a bit more, but nothing you need. You can watch on your computer while you record

are they going to do a sleep study on a bipap/bilevel?

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ShaunBlake - 02-19-2018

hmm... Good point, ajack; I just realized I ought to introduce myself and describe my conditions and diseases.

No; sleep study was done, and study done with BiPAP (which isn't effective) and the solution seems to be a new CPAP with 3l O2. (Seemed to work fine during 2-day hospital stay). Sadly, {filthyword} Apria is arranging delays.

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - SarcasticDave94 - 02-19-2018

FWIW This is what I would do:

1. Call the doctor who issued the script, you need to know where they sent it for fulfillment

2. Call the DME it was sent to, you demand to know where your equipment is, what specifically it is, and when are you getting it

3. Call your insurance to find out if action shows up regarding the above-mentioned script involving activity to obtain equipment. And you can ask for in-network DME's nearest you to find a decent rated reputable one.

4. Also request a copy of the sleep study (studies if multiple exist, but focus on most recent), and a copy of the script. By law these are permitted to be given to the patient AKA You.

And, unless I am mistaken, money has changed hands without you getting the equipment. If true, throw an NFL red flag and challenge this early and often. Demand results so to speak by yesterday.

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ShaunBlake - 02-19-2018

<smile> Thanks, SarcasticDave94, that's just what I did (well, don't have a direct line to the doc, but do have direct email) and his nurse called, got all excited, and said she'd see what she could do and call me tomorrow. I got a call about 90 minutes later from the DME lady who took my payment, all apologetic and explaining she "had been on the road", yada yada, but the package was on the FedEx truck, it will be here tomorrow. I let her know that it would have been preferable to contact me first as I would choose to make the trip to pick it up today rather than wait another 24 hours. But the truck was gone.

<chuckle> I don't know what the nurse said, but that lady was really shook up when she called! Wish the nurse could get the same results with Medicare! Really, the thing I'm most anxious to get is the oxygen concentrator. The broken CPAP would let me rock along if my O2 desaturation wasn't so bad.

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - SarcasticDave94 - 02-19-2018

Well at least you are getting results. Kudos on that. Keep us updated. And have a great eve.

Coffee

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ajack - 02-19-2018

If you are getting a new cpap, I'd get the resmed airsense autoset 10, it gives more options.
2 days in a hospital being monitored, is 1000% better than someone on a forum, but normally it's bpap to get the o2 as good as they can and then add supplemental o2. There is obviously a reason why cpap and o2 is right for you, but I would ask the question.

page 35, shows the bpap to o2 titration.
https://www.scribd.com/document/353402827/cpap-bilevel-Titration

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ShaunBlake - 02-20-2018

(02-19-2018, 08:11 PM)ajack Wrote: ... but normally it's bpap to get the o2 as good as they can and then add supplemental o2. There is obviously a reason why cpap and o2 is right for you, but I would ask the question.

page 35, shows the bpap to o2 titration.
https://www.scribd.com/document/353402827/cpap-bilevel-Titration

Thanks, ajack, that's a good piont. The BiPAP was a nice machine, but at my then- and current-level of knowledge/understanding, I didn't have a strong preference, though I did like the CPAP a little -- cuz it's black? <shrug> Thinking about your concern and recalling the RRT's comments about the recordings, the two machines provided extremely similar results. I would gain nothing from the BPAP other than a few nice features, and since they are so much more expensive than CPAPs, I'm sure Medicare would balk. (In fact, they seemed to drag their feet over the O2 concentrator.)

Thanks for the link. Honestly, it doesn't mean anything to me (no help whatsoever understanding why I couldn't have the fancier unit <pout>), yet I love knowing stuff so I hope it'll stick and make some connections as I learn more.

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ShaunBlake - 02-20-2018

(02-19-2018, 02:25 AM)ajack Wrote: cms50f it records overnight. From amazon and online google etc, should be 60-$80
The bluetooth one does a bit more, but nothing you need. You can watch on your computer while you record

Okay, ajack, looked at this puppy (and at the $195 to $948 unit that plugs into the AirSense units) and decided I could tolerate some inconvenience and perhaps less data (prolly less data points as well as data items <sigh>) for something I could buy without incurring a mortgage.

RE: OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia - ajack - 02-20-2018

Yes, there is a reason why we all use a CMS model of one sort or another. The dedicated machine spo2 models are over the top in price and really don't tell you anything more. amazon has the 50d+ for $32, it's not as comfortable, but does the same job. If you want further savings.