Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture (/Thread-Is-there-anyone-here-who-is-experienced-a-treatment-with-acupuncture)

Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - kgunen - 02-22-2018

Hi,
I have read an article relating the effect of the acupuncture for apnea.

The article's name is 

"The Clinical Effect of Acupuncture in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials"

The conclusion of the article is so;

"In summary, the results of our review suggest that both MA(manual acupuncture) and EA(Electroacupuncture) were effective in improving AHI and mean SaO2; additionally, MA could further improve apnea index and hypopnea index when compared with control treatment. Regarding the comparison of MA and nCPAP, no definite conclusion could be drawn due to the limited evidence. Additional RCTs with rigorous study design and larger sample size are required."

Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture? Or any comment...

RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - Sleep2Snore - 02-22-2018

It would depend on what control they were using and who they were using as well.
Read between the lines and it says it made no difference.   What a surprise!
Like a lot of these things, they never give you all the facts anyway.

RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - Walla Walla - 02-22-2018

I have an aversion to sharp objects.

RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - SarcasticDave94 - 02-22-2018

I must admit I have not heard of acupuncture for apnea treatment. Not attempting to push us off topic or anything, but I have been referred by my PA-C for acupuncture twice for my back pain, which is caused by degenerative disc, thoracic stenosis, and several other back diseases thrown in for good measure.

I have not been able to participate in the needle stick ritual, as I have to pay cash, with a hope the insurance reimburses something. With zero income, I have put this on hold. Besides, I agree with Walla Walla Huhsign , I am allergic to needle pain.

RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - PaulaO2 - 02-22-2018

Acupuncture works, theoretically, by diverting and realigning the energy pathways within our bodies. Since our bodies contain so much electricity, it is a plausible concept.

I would try it if I a study could provide evidence it worked. I'd love to decrease my pressure.

RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - Madcat207 - 02-22-2018

While I do believe that acupuncture can stimulate certain nerves to influence the body... unless you are poking holes in my throat, this is one I don't see helping....

RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - Gary1of2 - 02-22-2018

I have done acupuncture, but not for sleep. It was for back pain then allergies. It wasworking for ba k pain there was a good side effect which was my acid reflux stopped. Then on allergies it was the best way to stop them for 3 months

RE: Is there anyone here who is experienced a treatment with acupuncture - DeepBreathing - 02-23-2018

Here's the link to the paper referred to in the original post:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4834396/

I'll read it and comment later. However, like some others here I'm a coward when it comes to needles.

Edit: OK, I've read the paper and have to admit that I'm not sufficiently versed in medical research and statistical methods to draw any firm conclusions. However the authors seem to be saying that acupuncture achieves better results compared with non-specific controls (which I assume to mean no treatment). Compared to "nasal CPAP" there seems to be insufficient high quality data to draw a distinction, and some of the studies have a high risk of bias. I think I'll stick to my CPAP.