Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] New user- Humidifier - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] New user- Humidifier (/Thread-Equipment-New-user-Humidifier)

Pages: 1 2 3

New user- Humidifier - txrpls - 02-28-2018

Hello All,

In my second week of using my CPAP machine. I started with a Fisher-Paykel Icon+ Auto. It was a refurbished unit, and this was before I discovered this forum. Since Medicare was not going to pick up the tab (long Story), the medical supply company recommended this unit since I was paying for it. I also received an Amara View Mask. The doctor's prescription said and auto machine set at 6-16 with a full face mask. This machine gave me the lowest number with Sleepyhead, but I think that is because it doesn't monitor as much data?

I figured out this machine was not going to cut it with me as I am a gadget geek, so I took it back and purchased the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I have since installed and configured the Toshiba Flash Air so that I can read directly from any computer on my network, but that is another thread. Speaking of Sleepyhead, what an excellent piece of software. I donated initially and did it again the more I used it. Being involved in the software industry, I appreciate the work put into this software. If you haven't donated, you should. I would hate to lose this resource.

So now to my question, I was having a lot of air leaks with the Amara, so I went and purchased a ResMed F20 Airfit. Mind you I did this before reading how to fit a mask. I have now worn the mask two night in a row, and I notice quite a bit moisture in the mask to the point of I want to pull it away and while my face at the bottom of the mask. I noticed some moisture with the Amara, but not near as much and mainly on startup. Is this normal for the F20 since it has more area for moisture to condense? I have the AIrSense humidity set on auto. 

And BTW thanks for all the information on this forum. I have attached my last two nights Sleepyhead data

[attachment=4641] [attachment=4642]

RE: New user- Humidifier - Sleep2Snore - 02-28-2018

Not used the masks, however, I would try taking the machine off auto and turn the humidity down until condensations stops.
The other thing that sometimes causes condensation is peoples breath on the inside of the mask when their room is on the cold side.

RE: New user- Humidifier - txrpls - 03-01-2018

Thanks Sleep2Snore for the reply. I reduced the humidity level and the machine used half as much water. I was still uncomfortable and had my worst numbers to date with a lot of mask leaks. I am going to turn it off tonight and see how that goes. As I am in Texas it is not that cool at night currently, but I will check. I also thought that the heated tube might not have been working after I cleaned it. I checked the electrical continuity and all appears ok with the tube.

RE: New user- Humidifier - SarcasticDave94 - 03-01-2018

Hi txrpls, And welcome to Apnea Board.

Regarding the combination of settings on the humidifier, and it's resulting moisture in the mask, I'd try this:

1. Manual humidity mode: Select the lowest number you are able in order to reduce moisture, but with still maintaining overall comfort, say between 1-4.

2. Heated Hose: Here go the opposite of #1 above, go higher, it tops out at 86 degrees F. Possibly keep it in the 80's, but here again staying in your comfort zone. A higher tube temp. should help the moisture from condensing on the mask.

BTW I have the same masks. I use the F20 normally, and the Amara View is relegated to a backup mask. I run my humidifier at Manual 5 right now and 86 degrees F with no condensation. Over the winter here in PA, I even had mine set to 8 on the humidity and no issues. I just recently backed the setting down to 5 due to an introduction of morning nasal congestion, which lessened by lowering the humidity in the device air. Oh, and my bedroom temp was 73 F.

Coffee

RE: New user- Humidifier - txrpls - 03-01-2018

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the detailed information. I turned off the auto and lowered it to 2 on manual. I left the default on the tube at 81°. I think I will turn it off the humidity and see if that solves the issue and then work up from there.

RE: New user- Humidifier - SarcasticDave94 - 03-01-2018

Quite welcome.

FWIW the humidity setting range is Off, then a 1-8 from there. That is if you've got it running in Manual. FWIW 2 is the heated hose range is Off then 60-86 degrees F. That should give enough flexibility to get this issue eliminated for you. Best to your successes.

Coffee

RE: New user- Humidifier - trish6hundred - 03-01-2018

Hi txrpls,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.

RE: New user- Humidifier - Sleeprider - 03-02-2018

txrpls, a hose cover is very inexpensive and effective in preventing condensation, even with a heated hose. With the humidity in manual mode, a humidity setting of 3 and heated hose setting above 80, is usually effective. Your setting of 4 on the graphs is a bit on the high side.

Your settings seem to be effective, however you are not using the exhale pressure relief feature (EPR). This can greatly increase comfort and actually reduce hypopnea. In some individuals it may increase central apnea, so be aware of that if you give it a try. You currently have EPR set to Ramp Only. You need to change that to Full Time. As you become accustomed to EPR you can consider higher settings (more pressure relief) up to 3. I would also consider a minimum pressure of 8.0 given your current pressure needs. If you feel a bit air-starved when first starting, increase the minimum ramp pressure to 6, or turn it off.

RE: New user- Humidifier - txrpls - 03-02-2018

Hello, Sleeprider and thanks for the information. 

I turned all the humidity setting off and everything was worse. I'm about to give up. I have not had a decent nights sleep since starting this endeavor. I will try your setting. What is bothering me more than anything is the feeling of slobbering all over myself! Maybe I am? I did not notice this until the last 3-4 nights. I'm wondering if my hose is not heating? I have attached last nights graphs.

RE: New user- Humidifier - Sleeprider - 03-02-2018

txrpls, it would help if you moved flow limitation up and mask pressure down. We don't need the mask pressure. I think full time EPR is going to help you a lot. You have a lot of small pressure changes going on all the time, and I can't see what is driving that movement that makes the pressure chart look so jagged. It's obvious you need a minimum pressure of 8.0. Maybe post a 2-minute zoom of the respiratory rate around 23:45 if you were asleep. I'd like to see why you have such high amplitude exhales.

Don't throw in the towel just yet, you're about to get more comfortable.