Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Machine settings advice for my report [central events] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Machine settings advice for my report [central events] (/Thread-Machine-settings-advice-for-my-report-central-events)

Pages: 1 2

Machine settings advice for my report [central events] - airoutlaw - 03-04-2018

Hi folks,

I wonder if I might be able to get some advice please. I have been using my APAP machine for 1 month now. These are results from last night which are typical:

[attachment=4707]

[attachment=4708]

The AHI looks bad, but actually all my obstructive events are cured (if I am reading this right?)

The "Clear Airways" as reported by the machine mostly look like those as seen in the 2nd image - i.e. some big breaths followed by not breathing. Which I have read can be down to a yawn or a sigh?

So my question is, should I change any setting on my machine to try and reduce these CAs? Or is the fact that the machine is successfully curing all the obstructive apneas a good sign?

Many thanks for any advice.

RE: Machine settings advice for my report - Sleeprider - 03-04-2018

What do you think would happen if you tried 8.0 fixed pressure?

RE: Machine settings advice for my report - PaulaO2 - 03-04-2018

Were you told you had any central events during the sleep study? Even though the CI is low, and your HI is too, I think you may need as ASV to help treat those.

You could try dropping the maximum pressure slightly. From 15 to 14. Or even 13. Some people have CPAP induced central events but typically not that many.

RE: Machine settings advice for my report - airoutlaw - 03-04-2018

(03-04-2018, 04:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What do you think would happen if you tried 8.0 fixed pressure?

Happy to give it a try, but it looks like the machine tends to settle at around 13?

RE: Machine settings advice for my report [central events] - Walla Walla - 03-04-2018

If you drop it to 8cm fixed rate it should tell you after one night if the pressure is causing the CA events or if you have a problem that can't be fixed with a regular Auto CPAP.

RE: Machine settings advice for my report [central events] - PaulaO2 - 03-04-2018

Good idea!

RE: Machine settings advice for my report [central events] - Hojo - 03-04-2018

It isn't uncommon to have CA induced events when starting CPAP, it takes time for the body to adjust to having a sudden increase in air blowing off your CO2.  I think they recommend you hang in there for a few months before any consideration is given for ASV. 

As suggested, dropping your pressure may help settle some of the CA events and I knowing what was found during your sleep study would help a lot, as you may not have had any CA events during the study.

RE: Machine settings advice for my report - Sleeprider - 03-04-2018

(03-04-2018, 04:51 PM)airoutlaw Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 04:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What do you think would happen if you tried 8.0 fixed pressure?

Happy to give it a try, but it looks like the machine tends to settle at around 13?

One reason we like to see Flow Limitation included in your charts is that we can tell why pressure trends higher, even in the absence of obstructive events.  In your case,  you need lower pressure, or a lower maximum pressure to prevent central apnea.  There may be a time when higher pressure is desirable, but if you take my suggestion of 8-cm I can pretty well assure you the central events will mostly resolve.

RE: Machine settings advice for my report [central events] - airoutlaw - 03-04-2018

Thanks, I'll try fixed to 8 tonight and see what happens!

RE: Machine settings advice for my report [central events] - airoutlaw - 03-05-2018

Hi all,

So last night I tried a fixed pressure of 8. Subjectively it felt like a bad nights sleep, I think I prefer the slighty higher pressures. I remember waking up a few times during the night.

The weird(?) thing is, even with the pressure of 8 I apparently had zero obstructive apneas? In which case why does the machine like to settle at around 13 when in automatic mode?
That said, there were also higher number of CA's though on the lower pressure! Huhsign

Here's the stats:

[attachment=4731]
[attachment=4732]
[attachment=4733]

What do you think is going on here? Any suggestions for what to try next?