Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset (/Thread-Resmed-Aircurve-ASV-vs-Airsense-autoset)

Pages: 1 2 3

Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - mjoereid - 03-08-2018

Just trying to get a handle on all the machines out there. Will the Aircurve ASV do everything plus more what the airsense will do or are they completely different? In otherwords is the ASV the answer to all or just specific problem apneas?

RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - SarcasticDave94 - 03-08-2018

The ASV machine stands for Adaptive Servo Ventilator. It is typically dispensed for those patients, like myself, that have proven during a sleep study there are central, or mixed, apneas that need treated. Most patients will not require this level of device. Insurance will typically require at least CPAP failure and a PSG sleep study that indicates central or mixed apnea that are not treated successfully via a CPAP to dispense an ASV. Some will also require a BPAP failure as well. And each step may require the device-specific PSG sleep study. ASV qualified patients will need to pass a LVEF (Left Ventricle Ejection Fraction) heart echo image testing with a number of <40% disqualifying. It is used to indicate heart health regarding congestive heart failure or not, as I understand it.

RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - Sleeprider - 03-08-2018

The ASV can be setup to do everything an Autoset CPAP or Aircurve VPAP can do and more...and it costs plenty.

RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - foxfire - 03-08-2018

(03-08-2018, 09:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ASV can be setup to do everything an Autoset CPAP or Aircurve  VPAP can do and more...and it costs plenty.

Did Resmed change this with the Aircurve 10 series? I know they added AutoASV mode, but did they also add AutoSet and EPR to the CPAP mode?

Other than standard ASV mode my S9 ASV can only operate as a very simple constant pressure CPAP with ramp. No AutoSet or EPR. Also can't do bi-level.

My ASV has 3 modes: CPAP, ASV, and ASV Auto. ASV has a single EPAP pressure setting, while ASV Auto modifies EPAP to have a Minimum and Maximum range to select from automatically. This edit is on top of having a Pressure Support range of Min and Max in both ASV and ASV Auto. EPAP + PS = IPAP. With proper setting adjustments, I think the ASV can mimic almost all machines beneath it on the family tree. I do think, though, it may not have every setting available to be exactly like all those other machines. And, of course, I may be incorrect. If so, feel free to state that, as I do want proper info out there for best answers available.

Coffee

RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - Sleeprider - 03-08-2018

(03-08-2018, 09:34 PM)foxfire Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 09:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ASV can be setup to do everything an Autoset CPAP or Aircurve  VPAP can do and more...and it costs plenty.

Did Resmed change this with the Aircurve 10 series? I know they added AutoASV mode, but did they also add AutoSet and EPR to the CPAP mode?

Other than standard ASV mode my S9 ASV can only operate as a very simple constant pressure CPAP with ramp. No AutoSet or EPR. Also can't do bi-level.

I said it can do it all, I didn't say it had an Autoset mode.  If you need a CPAP or VPAP get one and save some money.  This ASV can vary pressure like an auto CPAP by setting a range for EPAP min and max and limiting the pressure support, but what a waste.  It can if necessary be crippled, to behave as something other than ASV, but why?

Dont-know

My humble opinion is that if a CPAP or BPAP gives effective therapy, then the ASV, and it's added expense, is not the route to take.

Coffee

RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - mjoereid - 03-09-2018

Thanks for the input, I was just curious if ASV would do everything and more. Wasn't planning to buy one unless a super deal came by. Which by the way what would be a deal? I think they are around $4000 in these parts.

RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - DeepBreathing - 03-09-2018

(03-09-2018, 12:26 AM)mjoereid Wrote: Thanks for the input, I was just curious if ASV would do everything and more. Wasn't planning to buy one unless a super deal came by. Which by the way what would be a deal?  I think they are around $4000 in these parts.

Yes, at $4000, an ASV will cost four or five times as much as an Autoset, and it won't be covered by insurance if not medically necessary. You'd need to find one which fell off the back of a truck to get a worthwhile deal. Big Grin

RE: Resmed Aircurve ASV vs Airsense autoset - ajack - 03-09-2018

If you look up the websites, you may find that an ASV can't do everything an S, ST, VAPS or even the auto VPAP can do. The resmed ASV can't provide more than min PS:6. It can't support minute ventilation and the machine follows the last few minutes. It can spiral down to very low minute ventilation levels. The ASV can also do things the S, ST or auto vaps can't do. It really is your doctor choosing the right machine for the job.
Very simply, the BPAP, VPAP, S, ST, VAPS are for mechanical issues, the ASV is for brain, nervous system and PB issues.