Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 (/Thread-Question-from-a-newbie-regarding-PS-One-560)

Pages: 1 2

Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - Sleepless in PHG - 11-10-2012

I’ve used my CPAP machine for all of two nights. First night the pressure was incorrectly set by the DME provider and resulted in a high, though acceptable, AHI of 4.2. Last night with the correct pressure the AHI much lower at 1.0.
My question is it normal for the PS One 560 to make a wheezing noise during inhalation and exhalation? I am a light sleeper and I’m finding this to be very annoying. Any feedback on the performance characteristics would be most welcome!

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - Sleepster - 11-10-2012

Mine does that, too. I have a BiPAP so the pressure is higher when I inhale and that's when I hear that noise.

As you relax your breathing rate reduces and this lessens the noise. Also, I have an air filter in the bedroom that produces enough white noise to drown it out. Sometimes I take a nap and forget to turn it on, that's when I notice the noise the most.

Make sure the noise is not coming from the mask.

As you get used to sleeping with the machine these little things become routine and less bothersome. Then you relax more and your breathing is shallower, which reduces the noise. Sort of a feedback system.

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - trish6hundred - 11-10-2012

Hi Sleepless in PHG and WELCOME! to the forum.!

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - Sleepless in PHG - 11-10-2012

Thanks for the response. The sound appears to emanate from the humidifier chamber but its hard to localize. Tested ResMed S8 and Intellipap machines without this bothersome noise. Hopefully as you state the more accumulated to this set-up the less it will hinder my sleep.

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - archangle - 11-10-2012

Sometimes, you can place the machine such that the noise is less of a problem. On the floor next to the bed, in a drawer, cut a hole in a box, cut out the other side of the box, sit the machine such that the hose comes through the hole.

Some people also find that setting the machine on a rubber mat helps.

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - Sleepster - 11-10-2012

This noise is at such a low level that I have to concentrate hard just to hear it.

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - dcgrafix - 11-10-2012

I know my machine does seem to sound a little louder than it did.

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - Sleepless in PHG - 11-11-2012

I will insulate the machine to lessen the radiated noise and try this for a few nights.

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - zonk - 11-11-2012

whatever you do ... make sure the air inlet of the S9 is not blocked
also make sure the area around the S9 is dry and clean free of dust

RE: Question from a newbie regarding PS One 560 - twindad - 11-14-2012

(11-10-2012, 10:13 AM)Sleepless in PHG Wrote: I’ve used my CPAP machine for all of two nights. First night the pressure was incorrectly set by the DME provider and resulted in a high, though acceptable, AHI of 4.2. Last night with the correct pressure the AHI much lower at 1.0.
My question is it normal for the PS One 560 to make a wheezing noise during inhalation and exhalation? I am a light sleeper and I’m finding this to be very annoying. Any feedback on the performance characteristics would be most welcome!

My PS System One 460 does make the wheezing noise during inhalation and exhalation, but it is not lous enough to bother either me or my wife, and I keep my machine uncovered on a nightstand level with and 2 feet away from my head. However, I describe myself as "I sleep the sleep of the dead", which means very very soundly, and let my wife get to sleep before I come to bed most nights, so we are able to tolerate the presence of the machine quite well. I have also found that my headgear and chinstrap help keep my ears warm on cold nights.