Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 (/Thread-Brevida-mask-with-Resmed-A10)

Pages: 1 2

Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - bernie01 - 03-19-2018

Hi all,
last night I used a F&P Brevida mask with my rental Resmed Airsense A10, previously I was trialling a Dreamwear mask.
My stats came up great: AHI 0.89 but quite a few times throughout the night I was woken by air being forced out my (closed)  mouth.

Looking at the 'Time at Pressure' graph in Sleepyhead, I can see the upper limits of the pressure were at around 13 whereas I have never seen
it much above 12 before. I really liked the fit and comfort of the Brevida but why is it making the mask pressure higher and forcibly expelling air through my lips?

Resmed has mask type still set to 'pillows'; nasal is another option that may be  worth tryinmg perhaps? Thoughts?

Also, it seemed worse when I slept on one side; I wonder if perhaps I was blocking the exhaust filter by inadvertantly having it facing the pillow as the hose swivels and ended up in a few different directions through the night...

See attachments.

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - Sleep2Snore - 03-20-2018

F&P say they are Nasal Pillows, so I think they should be set to that, the pressure difference might just be the difference in the fit of the mask, or it is making up for the good fit making air escape out of your mouth.  This you will need to resolve with a chin strap or other method.

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - Walla Walla - 03-20-2018

The Brevida is a true pillow mask where the Dreamwear is more of a Tweener mask. It's somewhere between a pillow mask and a nasal mask. Even though Respironics calls it a pillow mask it tends to defuse the pressure more than a Brevida mask. Try reducing your pressure by .4 to .6 cm and see if that helps.

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - sonicboom - 03-20-2018

I use the Brevida with the A10. Previously I used the P10 pillows. On average I have found that I need to set the minimum and maximum pressures 1 CM higher for the Brevida than with the P10s. I have it set to pillows. Yes indeed, make sure you twist the exhaust port away from the pillow when you sleep on your side. Welcome to Club Brevida!

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - bernie01 - 04-28-2018

I used a trial rental machine for 3 - 4 weeks as listed above (Resmed A10 and F&P Brevida mask) and consistently got leak rates much less than 1.0%.
Then I finally purchased exactly the same equipment but ever since the large leak rates have rocketed, eg:

Time over leak redline:
Rental gear: 0.315, 0.0, 0.024%
New gear: 6.794, 5.706, 8.267%

I have tried loosening the straps, tightening the straps, and in between. Last night I thought I might have had the right combination as I
was not aware of any leaks but it was the worse result ever (8.267%). AHI is still great; consistently less than 1.0.

I am at a loss to understand why the EXACT same machine and mask are giving such different results. The rental machine was a 2014 model so perhaps the algorithm has changed, or perhaps I am yet to exactly nail the right fit/tension of the Brevida mask. Any ideas?

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - Crimson Nape - 04-28-2018

By chance did the flow restricter/baffle that fits over the exhaust port come off? How did you declare the mask type on the A10?

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - Walla Walla - 04-28-2018

Two things come to mind. First is mouth leaks. Second is the mask pillow the same size? One other thing could be that you grew some lip hair which can cause problems with the Brevida for some people. Me included.

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - bernie01 - 04-28-2018

Thanks for the comments.
1. The baffle occasionally gets knocked off, but I don't think that is the cause. I knocked it off this morning at about 3:45 and gave up trying to put it back on in the dark and ended the session.
2. Mask declared as pillows (see beginning of this thread).
3. I am definitely prone to mouth leaks; see beginning of thread. But why didn't they show as high leak rate before?
4. Same size pillow (XS-S)
5. I am clean shaven
I guess the bottom line is that as long as my AHI remains low I don't have a huge problem. I'll keep fiddling with the strap adjustment.

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - ardenum - 04-29-2018

I'm boggled by the amount of P10 users. Just shows poor judgement. P10 isnt even a mask, it's a joke. It leaks even when you move your mouth.

RE: Brevida mask with Resmed A10 - jaswilliams - 04-29-2018

That’s your opinion it works for me