Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score (/Thread-Noob-question-Resmed-AS10-trigger-for-myAir-mask-on-off-score)

Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - gregger - 04-10-2018

Hi all,

Total CPAP noob here...so I'm very appreciative of this site. I am the brand new user of a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and I downloaded the myAir app to track some very simple indicators. (I will download and dig into Sleepyhead in the future, but like myAir for some quick feedback.)

My first night I had a myAir score of 87 which I take as a good start (6.6 events/hour; my sleep test AHI was 42). 

My score showed "perfect" mask seal, despite the fact I did have some minor leaks when adjusting the mask.

But the score also showed 10 times the mask was off. It was actually only off my face completely a few times, but I did start/stop the machine several times when sitting up to fiddle with straps, try and then discard a chin strap, etc. etc. On a few occasions I pulled the nasal cushion an inch or so off my face to adjust it, but just for a couple of seconds.

So...The questions: Does the machine on/off get counted as a "mask off"? What else triggers a "mask off" indication?

Just curious. Thanks for any info. [Again, I do understand myAir's limitations and will become a Sleepyhead user soon!]

-- G.

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - Ron AKA - 04-10-2018

The AHI of 6.6 using a 5-15 pressure setting probably can be improved on, but you need SleepyHead to do it. Suggest you download it and get on with it. If you have used the machine for a few nights, the A10 will have collected the data, and SleepyHead will display it for you. Good machine. I just bought one too. The key info you need to know is the ratio of OA to CA events, and when they occur and at what pressure.

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - jaswilliams - 04-10-2018

In myair classes machine off on as mask on off events so yes turning the machine off and on dropped your myair score

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - CB91710 - 04-10-2018

Don't obsess over the MyAir score.
Assuming that you know the reason for the issue, it is not a problem, in this case, you were properly fitting the mask.
Your sleep doc won't even mention it unless it becomes a regular thing... like if it appears that you are getting up multiple times, it could indicate issues with your therapy not reducing apnea events, or perhaps prostate problems.

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - gregger - 04-11-2018

Thanks all for the input.

My second night was much easier with mask fitting and I only removed it once (before turning machine off). Thus the myAir score for last night was 100, with an AHI of 3.7.

I did get into Clinician Mode and one thing I noticed is that in Settings, the tech appears to have set the hose size to Slimline (15mm ID) vs. standard (19mm ID) and with the best measuring I can do w/o cutting the hose open, it seems I have a standard 19mm hose. (I have the regular unheated hose.)

I will change that setting.

Thanks again.

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - Sleep2Snore - 04-13-2018

You should easily know the two hoses apart, the slim one is about 1/2" and the other is twice the size and a lot more flexible (normally).
Make sure it is set for the correct type of mask as well.

In the clinical settings you can read the sleep report directly.

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - Ron AKA - 04-13-2018

(04-11-2018, 09:42 AM)gregger Wrote: I did get into Clinician Mode and one thing I noticed is that in Settings, the tech appears to have set the hose size to Slimline (15mm ID) vs. standard (19mm ID) and with the best measuring I can do w/o cutting the hose open, it seems I have a standard 19mm hose. (I have the regular unheated hose.)

Based on the new A10 machine I got a week ago or so, a SlimLine hose is included with the machine. The heated climate hose is sold as an extra cost option. I would guess you have the SlimLine hose if you just got a standard package. However, it is easy to check without cutting the hose. If you look on the grey end fitting you should see SlimLine embossed into the plastic, if that is what you have. 

If you plan on tweaking the settings of your machine I would encourage you again to get SleepyHead. To change things you need to see the details. What pressure did it go to throughout the night. Did it hit max or min pressure. When did the events occur relative to the pressure at the time. Are your events OA or CA.  You need to know the answers to those questions to make any kind of informed change.

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - MobileBasset - 04-14-2018

Both slimline and standard hoses have the same diameter machine and mask fittings at the ends (19mm) but the slimline hose itself is more narrow.

RE: Noob question: Resmed AS10 trigger for myAir mask on/off score - gregger - 04-14-2018

(04-13-2018, 06:17 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 09:42 AM)gregger Wrote: I did get into Clinician Mode and one thing I noticed is that in Settings, the tech appears to have set the hose size to Slimline (15mm ID) vs. standard (19mm ID) and with the best measuring I can do w/o cutting the hose open, it seems I have a standard 19mm hose. (I have the regular unheated hose.)

Based on the new A10 machine I got a week ago or so, a SlimLine hose is included with the machine. The heated climate hose is sold as an extra cost option. I would guess you have the SlimLine hose if you just got a standard package. However, it is easy to check without cutting the hose. If you look on the grey end fitting you should see SlimLine embossed into the plastic, if that is what you have. 

If you plan on tweaking the settings of your machine I would encourage you again to get SleepyHead. To change things you need to see the details. What pressure did it go to throughout the night. Did it hit max or min pressure. When did the events occur relative to the pressure at the time. Are your events OA or CA.  You need to know the answers to those questions to make any kind of informed change.

Thanks. I received  "generic" hose, so it doesn't carry any name or marks whatsoever. However, based on the description by Sleep2Snore, I have the standard hose. The settings tweaked so far are for hose size and comfort, but I will definitely get Sleepyhead after I've got a week or two of data to analyze and then will post findings here for advice on other tweaks. Many thanks![url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/User-Sleep2Snore][/url]