Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? (/Thread-Sleep-Study-with-Overactive-Bladder)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - ronlecroy - 04-19-2018

Two docs have told me that it would be useless to have a sleep study with my overactive bladder situation.  I have to get up with the sensation that I need to urinate 10-15 times a night.  Urologist has yet to come up with a solution, after 4 months (tests for prostate cancer etc, all negative).   I also have developed an involuntary closure of some sort (vocal cords or palate?) that causes me to "grunt" or vocalize a sound when I exhale, which wakes me over and over just as I drift off.  My old "dumb" cpap helps some, but I don't have a prescription for it.  I can't get a prescription for new machine without a sleep study and insurance won't pay for a new machine without the study. 

Is there a way to get a sleep study with an overactive bladder situation?  I'm stuck in a loop, exhausted, and depressed.  I'm a useless human who can't sleep and has to pee all the time.  I can't even get in a nap because I grunt as soon as I fall asleep.  It's a confusing, stressful situation and I'm being knocked between doctors who are reluctant to help.

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - Walla Walla - 04-19-2018

An overactive bladder is often a sign of sleep apnea. Every time your awaken by an apnea event your bladder gets the signal that it's time to go. I myself would buy a Air Sense 10 Autoset off Amazon. You have all the resources you need here to get setup and start treatment yourself. I think you'll find after you start treatment your bladder will start behaving.

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - Gideon - 04-19-2018

Good quality machines can be procured on the secondary market, many sources do not require a Prescription.
The 1st machine of choice would be the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, or the for Her version.

I'm sure others will pop up with sources and current costs.  Obviously this would be out of pocket.

Fred

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - ronlecroy - 04-19-2018

Thank you for the reply.  How hard is it to set up an Air Sense 10?  I'm not very technical and on a very tight budget.  I wouldn't want to get a machine and not be able to use it effectively.  I really wish I had the support of a doctor instead of being stuck in the middle.

Is it true that they can't do a sleep study on someone with overactive bladder?  Seems like a conundrum, overactive bladder because (possibly) apnea, but can't take sleep apnea test with overactive bladder.

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - Sleeprider - 04-19-2018

Ron, we could guide you through the process very easily. Setting up a Resmed Airsense 10 is described in this easy pictoral tutorial, and we can tell you exactly what is needed here on the forum. https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsense-10-aircurve-10-setup-info

I think that is as easy and non-technical as it gets. We can instruct you on setting up the Mode, minimum pressure, maximum pressure and EPR. That should be all you need.

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - Gideon - 04-19-2018

Typically you would do 2 sleep studies, the first is a diagnostic study, which is performed with a CPAP and Mask, the second is a Titration study and is performed with a CPAP machine to identify the pressures to treat your apnea.

Both have you wired up to O2 monitors, EEG (brain monitors), EKG (heart), Chest strap for breathing effort, leg movement monitors.  In short there are over 20 some odd wires connected to your body.  Theses have to be disconnected every time you have to get up (there are only a couple of connectors, then you have to "drag all the wires with you and back to bed to get you settled.  That is why they are saying no.

On costs the last cost I saw was $675 for a AutoSet for her model.

Fred

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - ronlecroy - 04-19-2018

Thank you.  Ok, that all makes sense.  Wires and two expensive sleep studies would be very difficult with me jumping out of bed every 10 minutes.  I am going to see about getting a machine and will post here for feedback and assistance.  Hopefully I can get a machine set up by myself.

I am somewhat concerned about my vocal cords going together as soon as I drift off.  It just now happened as I tried to take a quick nap.  I can't sleep for more than 3 minutes.  I start to fall asleep then a loud vocal "Humm" like I'm answering a question.  It instantly wakes me up.  I'm worried that I'm developing some sort of autonomic disease that's not keeping my vocal cords open when I sleep.  All this is a little scary.

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - Sleeprider - 04-19-2018

Ron, I experience the same kind of obstruction that startles me awake if I try to nap without CPAP pressure. Just for comparison, my starting pressure is 9 exhale and 12.5 inhale, and it goes up from there. With that pressure and the auto-adjusting machine I don't experience any problems. I am certain, we can get you to a more comfortable place once you have an auto-adjusting machine that produces some useful data, and it's pretty likely you will require higher pressure than your current 7.5 cm. At least with the Airsense 10 Autoset you can have separate inhale and exhale pressures for comfort, and an auto-adjusting machine to keep your airway patent.

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - DeepBreathing - 04-19-2018

G'day Ron. Overactive bladder can indeed be caused by apnea. It is also a side-effect of other conditions such as fibromyalgia.

From the American Sleep Apnea Association:

Nocturia (nighttime urination) is so prevalent in sleep apnea patients it has become a screening tool as significant as snoring. A research study showed that over 84% of patients with sleep apnea reported frequent nighttime urination while 82% acknowledged snoring...

...How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”

https://www.sleepapnea.org/learn/sleep-apnea/nighttime-urination-and-sleep-apnea/

RE: Sleep Study with Overactive Bladder?? - Walla Walla - 04-19-2018

(04-19-2018, 09:27 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Ron. Overactive bladder can indeed be caused by apnea. It is also a side-effect of other conditions such as fibromyalgia.

From the American Sleep Apnea Association:

Nocturia (nighttime urination) is so prevalent in sleep apnea patients it has become a screening tool as significant as snoring. A research study showed that over 84% of patients with sleep apnea reported frequent nighttime urination while 82% acknowledged snoring...

...How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”

https://www.sleepapnea.org/learn/sleep-apnea/nighttime-urination-and-sleep-apnea/

Translation- It makes you pee. Happy Eyes