Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful (/Thread-Brand-New-Diagnosis-Sleep-Dr-staff-NOT-helpful)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - PerChancetoDream - 04-21-2018

Hi,

Brand new to this forum. 

My sleep apnea was just diagnosed was "moderate", tho the sleep dr thinks it is really severe, but won't "speculate" in writing. 

They just jerked me around getting a CPAP, & have (I think) sent it to an outside company (may be the DME, referred to elsewhere); I was too angry & I thought they wrote it down.  I am also looking for a good used machine, since it was going to be between $380-730 depending on how my insurance situation shakes down.  

They reccomend Airsview (maybe Airsense???) or Resmed S10 or S9.  

I am already reeling a bit at sleeping with that thing on my face, and the diagnosis. 

Does anyone have any machine advice--kinds and/or getting a gently used one (if it is allowed on this forum)?

TIA!

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - cate1898 - 04-21-2018

Hi PerChancetoDream and welcome to the forum! Glad you found us!

If you click on the link above on every page "Supplier List" Supplier #2 sells gently used or new open box xpap machines at very reasonable prices. Or check out some of the other suppliers as well.

Good luck and I hope you get everything all worked out!

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - gwc2795 - 04-21-2018

I am already reeling a bit at sleeping with that thing on my face, and the diagnosis

Are you referring to the sleepstudy when you wore a mask?

It would be helpful to know you sex and age. Some machines do better with women than men and the age would help with suggestions.

Overall you will be in better health after treatment.

Even with the deductible you described it might be better to use the DME. If the machine does not help they can exchange it and they can fit a mask or masks until they find one that will work for you. The mask fitting can be extremely difficult.

Here's hoping you success.  
Sleep-well

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - Walla Walla - 04-21-2018

You need to get a copy of your sleep study that was done and your prescription from the Doctor. You'll need this in the coming years to avoid having to repeat the test. Once you get it you can post the results here or at least post the type of machine the Doctor prescribed. Once we see that we can advise which machine would be best.

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - Sleeprider - 04-21-2018

Consider reading the articles linked in my signature:
New to Apnea? Helpful Tips For Success
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

You should get a copy of your sleep study for your personal records, and access to a copy is your right under HIPAA law. You should also get a copy of your prescription. The best way to decide on a supplier is to choose from your insurance company's list of in-network suppliers in your area. You don't have to go to the one your doctor or the clinic sent your prescription to.

It sounds like your doctors want you to have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. The new online price for these is nearly $900 from most online suppliers, and near $600 on Amazon. In addition you will require the mask and supplies, so your copay and deductible do not appear to be above what you might pay elsewhere, not to mention you will get a warranty and support. You can probably find a good price on the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset on some Craigslist listings. The best way to find them is to use the SearchTempest search using your zip code as the center and simply searching the term "Resmed" or CPAP Machine.

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - PerChancetoDream - 04-21-2018

Will reply more in a bit, I am female and Sad 51.

I have the sleep study report, but not the prescription. I used a CPAP of some sort after sleeping 2 hrs at the test, and used the one that covered nose and mouth. It didn't really bother me; I don't think I slept any WORSE with it than usual.

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - Ron AKA - 04-21-2018

(04-21-2018, 04:52 AM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: They reccomend Airsview (maybe Airsense???) or Resmed S10 or S9.  

The correct full names would be:

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet - This is the newest and current model in the ResMed Auto CPAP line.
ResMed S9 AutoSet - This is the prior now discontinued model

Both models also come in a "For Her" version that are said to be especially tuned for needs of a woman. It is an option, and you can turn it off and go to the standard mode if that is better. These are both good machines and if you can get the For Her version for the same price, that would be the right choice. Not sure I would pay anything significant extra for the "For Her" version though.

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - Sleep2Snore - 04-21-2018

(04-21-2018, 10:45 AM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-21-2018, 04:52 AM)PerChancetoDream Wrote: They reccomend Airsview (maybe Airsense???) or Resmed S10 or S9.  

The correct full names would be:

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet - This is the newest and current model in the ResMed Auto CPAP line.
ResMed S9 AutoSet - This is the prior now discontinued model

Both models also come in a "For Her" version that are said to be especially tuned for needs of a woman. It is an option, and you can turn it off and go to the standard mode if that is better. These are both good machines and if you can get the For Her version for the same price, that would be the right choice. Not sure I would pay anything significant extra for the "For Her" version though.

That is correct and that is what I would go for.   Smile

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - PerChancetoDream - 04-21-2018

Thank you all so much! It was very nice to wake up to all the responses after I finally got to sleep last night. 

What is the thought(s) here in going used? Am I asking for trouble?

I will get my prescription on Monday and call my insurance to find out who they are contracted with.

And, thank you for the correct full names and all the links.  It wasn't a surprise to get the diagnosis,  but I am reeling a bit at adapting to it and my sleep dr and his staff's callous treatment of me.

I will see if I can figure out how to post my sleep study results.

RE: Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful - gwc2795 - 04-21-2018

Perchancetodream

THanks for the info. My daughter has the 10 autoset for her and she is doing very well with it. Used can be a gamble until you have your feet wet. If the insurance will kick in enough I would recommend a DME. You will have a warranty and if the machine does not work for you it can be changed. The DME will set up the machine and help you with the mask. The mask can be a real bear for some people. We need to see your prescribed pressures before a machine recommendation.