Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP (/Thread-Nasal-obstruction-and-effectiveness-CPAP)

Pages: 1 2

Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - emredogan - 04-23-2018

Hello Everyone,

So I have a simple question: Can CPAP fight off nose congestion during the night and will therapy be effective if nose is obstructed? My nose is completely clogged during the night. Cant breath through it. I already use a ffm. I am seeing me ENT this week beceause I have a deviated septum. Are there folks here that have a clogged nose as well but CPAP opens up their sinusses?  

Thank you all !

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - Walla Walla - 04-23-2018

I found nasal pillows actually help me when my nose is stuffed up. More direct pressure helps to clear them out.

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - emredogan - 04-23-2018

Walla Walla,

Thanks for your reply! Yes I tried nasal pillows and that actually cleared my nose but then I have the problem that I mouth breath. Also tried chin strap and taping it but because I use a relatively high pressure tape doesn't stay on its place. So I had to switch back to FFM...

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - ghce - 04-23-2018

I was using a FFM but found CPAP closed my nasal passages and I couldn't breathe, swapping to nasal pillows opened the breathing up again.
Like you I suffer from very reactive soft tissue and small nasal passages so have always had trouble getting enough air in.

I also use a chin strap, that in combination with nasal pillows seems to work.

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - Apnea Infant - 04-23-2018

Have you tried a soft neck collar? It helps with chin tuck and keeps my mouth shut along with the tongue trick-ie pressing the tip of my tongue against the roof of my mouth.

I find that more helpful than a chin strap.

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - Ron AKA - 04-23-2018

I find that the P10 nasal pillow mask helps keep the nasal passages clear, if I can get them clear before I put the mask on.

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - PollCat - 04-24-2018

Have you tried using a nasal/sinus rinse to help clean out your passage ways?  I use one of these rinses every morning and a nasal spray before bed each night (primarily to keep the nasal polyps at bay).

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - booksfan - 04-24-2018

(04-24-2018, 04:47 PM)PollCat Wrote: Have you tried using a nasal/sinus rinse to help clean out your passage ways?  I use one of these rinses every morning and a nasal spray before bed each night (primarily to keep the nasal polyps at bay).

I use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse. I found it works better than a neti pot for me. I use it at night. If I remember, I try to use it at least a half hour before bed, to avoid any residual leaks/drips/runniness. If I am worried about colds/congestion, I use it in the morning as well.

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - Apnea Infant - 04-24-2018

My nasal pillows do help keep my nasal passages open mainly. However recently I have been suffering quite badly with hay fever and also nasal congestion from a cold on top of that. Talk about insult to injury. So I have found that I have had to wake up in the middle of the night to have a good old blow out before strapping in my 'pillows ' and resuming my slumber.

RE: Nasal obstruction and effectiveness CPAP - Sam Wallis - 04-24-2018

I don't know if a nasal pillow type mask will work for you, but for me it works.  I have major nasal allergies and am a mouth breather by day and a mouth breather by night due to swollen nasal passages.  But the pressure from my opens my nose up so I can wear my AutoPAP with nasal pillow mask at night with no problem. In my case, I think the micron filter is removing allergens from the air I get via APAP, and I think that helps my nasal congestion.  I do use Flonase nasal spray daily, take Allergra D before bed each night, take Benadryl pretty often, and on really bad days I use Afrin before bed.  I limit the Afrin use to 1 or 2 nights  per week because it can really cause nasal swelling if you use it too much.

I think your best bet is to talk to your doctor and get his/her opinion as to whether a nasal pillow type would work for you.  Also, you may be able to get one to try out before you purchase.

I got a kick out of my Dr last week.  He looks up my nose, looked a bit startled and said, "Oh, my!"  I said, "Did you find a booger, Doc?"  He laughed and said, "If you've got a booger up there, I'd never find 'cause your nose is swollen shut."