Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Brand New Here - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Brand New Here (/Thread-Brand-New-Here)

Pages: 1 2 3

Brand New Here - Punky - 05-02-2018

Hello , Im brand new here and tbh my head is spinning.. My Husband was diagnosed with server ,mixed sleep apnea in March.
I still am looking for a machine .
Since he lost his job, lost his (our medical insurance) which they wouldn't pay for a machine anyway.. Im am so distraught trying to find him a AVS machine.
Are there foundations or even medical suppliers who would donate machines?
Or if anyone can give me any advice , I sure can use all the help right now.
His sleep apnea has effected his memory ,speech, and other cognitive thinking.
Ive been trying to help best as i can but I needed to reach out here .. this is all new , all foreign to us ..
His doctor and respiratory therapist at the office he went to havnt reached out to help. When I do call the respiratory therapist she
isnt interested in speaking to me really..and says she is busy and will call back , but she never does call back

His sleep apnea is OSA & CSA
and was advised to get a Respironics Dreamstation SV

RE: Brand New Here - Punky - 05-02-2018

(05-02-2018, 09:30 AM)Punky Wrote: Hello , Im brand new here and tbh my head is spinning.. My Husband was diagnosed with server ,mixed sleep apnea in March.
I still am looking for a machine .
Since he lost his job, lost his (our medical insurance) which they wouldn't pay for a machine anyway.. Im am so distraught trying to find him a AVS machine.
Are there foundations or even medical suppliers who would donate machines?
Or if anyone can give me any advice , I sure can use all the help right now.
His sleep apnea has effected his memory ,speech, and other cognitive thinking.
Ive been trying to help best as i can but I needed to reach out here .. this is all new , all foreign to us ..
His doctor and respiratory therapist at the office he went to havnt reached out to help. When I do call the respiratory therapist she
isnt interested in speaking to me really..and says she is busy and will call back , but she never does call back

His sleep apnea is OSA & CSA
and was advised to get a Respironics Dreamstation SV

recommendation was > A ASV at 6cm H20 EPAP and 3-15 cm H20 PS

RE: Brand New Here - Crimson Nape - 05-02-2018

Hi Punky - Welcome

From what I understand, your hubby needs an ASV (Auto Servo Ventilator) . That is the top of the line type of CPAP.  I would suggest that you look at Supplier #2 in our Supplier List or you could try looking on Craigslist other for sale sites in your area.  Before you look at the later suggestions, please educate your self on "run hours" and model numbers and how to view them on the CPAP brand  you seek.  

There are advertisements for "foundations" that provide CPAP machines.  In the past I have unknowingly provided a name of one foundation that turned out to be a ripoff.    I am very leery of advising any foundation entities anymore.  

Be sure to obtain a written prescription for your doctor for this machine.  It can come in handy down the road.  Also, get a copy of any and all test results.  You are entitled to then under HIPAA.

Since you are new to this therapy, please read the link below "Apnea Helpful Tips" to help you understand the treatment, equipment, and the technical jargon.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions.

We look forward to helping you.

RE: Brand New Here - gwc2795 - 05-02-2018

punky
I have listed a link to a discussion on ASV's pay attention to the first post on the page.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Starting-my-ASV-journey?page=2

Please ask questions there are several types.
And you will need to buy an H5i humidifier around $80 and a power supply around $20, you will also need a mask and hose.

Thank you ,, i just had his doctor e-mail me script , it called for a Aircurve ASV ,not a Respironics Dreamstation SV .. so I am a bit confussed because the company my
husbands doctor advised us to try and work with said he needed a Respironics Dreamstation SV

RE: Brand New Here - gwc2795 - 05-02-2018

All the DME (Durable Medial Equipment) push the units they make the most off of. I recommend the Resmed brand, I have used both and find the Resmed more responsive. You stated earlier that you no longer had health insurance and I tried to point you to a location that had the S9 ASV for $150. It is a used machine but has the same features as the Aircurve 10 ASV which is the newer model. I purchased one and it had 2400 hours on it -- very acceptable because many last 17000 hrs with no problem.

RE: Brand New Here - JesseLee - 05-02-2018

The Aircurve is, in my opinion, a better machine. I'm sorry you are going through these trials, but hang in there.

The difference is manufacturers but if you can pick, the Resmed Aircurve 10 is likely your better option versus the Philips Respironics Auto SV. Both machines are therapeutically effective if you are not afforded a choice.

As for charities, all of my research has found that the foundations and donation programs aren't 100% free, and none have offered anything better than previous generations of Auto Cpap machines. It would not hurt to call them and ask, but be wary. The foundations can offer low quality, high use, and no warranty.

Yes thank you , Im checking them out now

RE: Brand New Here - Fats Drywaller - 05-02-2018

(05-02-2018, 10:09 AM)Punky Wrote: I still am looking for a machine .
Since he lost his job, lost his (our medical insurance) which they wouldn't pay for a machine anyway.

Punky, this is very important: PLEASE stop and reconsider using the DME that your husband's doctor has recommended. You can save yourselves a huge amount of money if you buy a machine from an online retailer. It'll be new, under warranty, and exactly the same as the machine that you would get from the DME, or better, but it'll cost you much less.

The folks here are giving you excellent advice! I'll post more in a few minutes, and you'll understand better then.

Don't sign any paperwork yet! If you do, you will be ripped off big-time. Seriously.

OK thank you ,, no worries I have not signed anything.. Being very prudent and reading all these post. I am very conscious and appreciate everyone's
in-put here.. it is sooo refreshing to finally get help!!