Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Waking up not breathing - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Waking up not breathing (/Thread-Waking-up-not-breathing)

Pages: 1 2

Waking up not breathing - SierraMadreMe - 05-08-2018

I finally started on my cpap in March.I have been experiencing waking up not breathing,and having a seriously difficult time remembering how to breathe.Freaks me out to be honest.This seems to only happen once or twice a week,but I thought the cpap was supposed to keep me breathing?

Any ideas what might be happening?I assume that I am waking up because I have stopped breathing,but I thought that was the whole reason to be using a cpap?

Thanks for any advice.

SP

RE: Waking up not breathing - holden4th - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 02:35 AM)SierraMadreMe Wrote: Any ideas what might be happening?I assume that I am waking up because I have stopped breathing,but I thought that was the whole reason to be using a cpap?

Thanks for any advice.

SP

If you have the settings correct then this should not be an issue. How about downloading Sleepyhead and posting your results. It's all there at the top of the page.

RE: Waking up not breathing - gwc2795 - 05-08-2018

A CPAP is designed to hold the airway open so you can breathe. ASV machines will attempt to make you breathe although they are not able to breathe for you. Please post some charts so we can check for a cause.

RE: Waking up not breathing - OpalRose - 05-08-2018

Hi SierraMadreMe,
Would you please update your profile with the “exact” machine you have.  
ResMed AirSense 10 "CPAP" is a brick and can give no no useful data. Hoping you have the AirSense 10 Elite or AutoSet. Also list your pressure settings.

Download the free #SleepyHead software, the use the links in my signature line to help you organize the graphs and then use the Attachment feature to post here.

RE: Waking up not breathing - SarcasticDave94 - 05-08-2018

There's a certain thing I am thinking of, but I will wait on that for the time being. I agree, not trying to pile on the stack, but let's see a chart via Sleepyhead so we have a much better idea of the situation. Once that is accomplished, I am certain a solution is made available.

Coffee

RE: Waking up not breathing - SierraMadreMe - 05-10-2018

(05-08-2018, 03:28 AM)holden4th Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 02:35 AM)SierraMadreMe Wrote: Any ideas what might be happening?I assume that I am waking up because I have stopped breathing,but I thought that was the whole reason to be using a cpap?

Thanks for any advice.

SP

If you have the settings correct then this should not be an issue. How about downloading Sleepyhead and posting your results. It's all there at the top of the page.
This will take some time for me to figure out.The Resmed has 2 ports for a SD card.I don't even know which one to use,and whether it will confuse the guy who occasionally monitors what is going on.I say he monitors,but when I called him about the events I am having,he couldn't even tell me that I had anything unusual happening.
(05-08-2018, 04:30 AM)gwc2795 Wrote: A CPAP is designed to hold the airway open so you can breathe. ASV machines will attempt to make you breathe although they are not able to breathe for you. Please post some charts so we can check for a cause.
I will have to try and figure out how to use the software.
(05-08-2018, 06:38 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi SierraMadreMe,
Would you please update your profile with the “exact” machine you have.  
ResMed AirSense 10 "CPAP" is a brick and can give no no useful data.  Hoping you have the  AirSense 10 Elite or AutoSet.  Also list your pressure settings.  

Download the free [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] software, the use the links in my signature line to help you organize the graphs and then use the Attachment feature to post here.

I apologize for being so far behind the curve as far as the machine goes.I pick this stuff up a little on the slow side.

RE: Waking up not breathing - Melman - 05-10-2018

There should only be one slot for an SD card.

RE: Waking up not breathing - Hydrangea - 05-10-2018

It looks like there is more than one slot, but there's only one.

It won't interfere with the monitoring.

In their monitoring, they seem to only look at AHI and compliance hours (as that is how they make their money).

RE: Waking up not breathing - Melman - 05-10-2018

There are two small doors on the end of the machine. The top one is labeled SD in blue. Under it is the slot for the SD card. There is a second door under the first. It is unlabeled and the slot under it is too narrow for an SD card.

RE: Waking up not breathing - Hydrangea - 05-10-2018

I believe that smaller/lower one is for a pulse oximeter.