Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Pressure] Help! -- Flow rate run away - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Pressure] Help! -- Flow rate run away (/Thread-Pressure-Help-Flow-rate-run-away)

Help! -- Flow rate run away - bradloff - 05-09-2018

Hi all,  Relative newbie to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.  I got a new machine and mask about 10 days ago, last night was my worst night, well actually, just the last hour or so.  I have a Resmed 10 Autoset and Philips Respironics Dreamwear FF mask.  This morning, I woke up and the pressure was basically maxed out, I think due to a series of large leaks.  But even when I fixed the leaks, I couldn't get the pressure to drop, I could barely exhale.  First time of experienced this.  Attached are the SleepyHead charts. I have included the full night and then zoomed in on the last 30 minutes or so.  In the last 30 minutes, there were a bunch of H and OA events, lots of leaks and pressure climbs to ~19.  Usually my average pressure is between 10 and 12.

BTW, I've only just started using SleepyHead and this is my first time posting charts, so let me know if I did something wrong

Any thoughts?  Let me know if I need to post more info?

Thanks!

[attachment=5759][attachment=5760]

RE: Help! -- Flow rate run away - Sleeprider - 05-09-2018

Set your maximum pressure to 14. Give yourself a little EPR for comfort Set it to 1 or 2 Full time. This will all work out fine.

RE: Help! -- Flow rate run away - bradloff - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 07:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Set your maximum pressure to 14. Give yourself a little EPR for comfort Set it to 1 or 2 Full time. This will all work out fine.

Thanks Sleeprider, I'll give that a shot.  The previous 9 days were almost perfect, AHI less than 1.5 and many nights less than 1.  That's why I was so surprised this morning.

RE: Help! -- Flow rate run away - Sleeprider - 05-09-2018

Setbacks happen, and that is all this was. What we want to find are settings that are both comfortable and effective for you. I originally answered you on my iPhone so it was a bit cryptic and incomplete. I see you are using a pressure range of 5-20. I have no doubt that setting a maximum pressure of 14 and using some EPR will increase your comfort. I would also encourage you to increase your minimum starting pressure to about 8.0. I think it's useful to avoid a lot of pressure variation through the night as that can be disruptive to sleep.

RE: Help! -- Flow rate run away - bradloff - 05-10-2018

Last night I adjusted the max pressure to 16 and set EPR to 2.  Resulting AHI was 1.3.  Definitely like the EPR!  I'll reset the min pressure, probably to 8 and give that a try.  The starting pressure is currently 4 with a ramp.  I'll probably increase the start pressure to 5 and have a 30 minute ramp.

It's been interesting with this new machine.  They set the pressure range from 5-20 at the DME.  My old machine was not an autoset and the pressure was set at 8!  That was based on my sleep study from 8 years ago.  I was not sleeping real well with the old machine and my AHI numbers were climbing over the last 6 months.  Now with the autoset, my pressure is averaging 10-12, so clearly something has changed over the last year or so, and that's why I hadn't been sleeping as well -- 8 wasn't enough anymore!

That said, I love the new machine and mask!

Thanks again for the help.