Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
tranquility plus cpap machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: tranquility plus cpap machine (/Thread-tranquility-plus-cpap-machine)

tranquility plus cpap machine - sheepless - 05-12-2018

in the mid '90's I bought a used Healthdyne Tranquility Plus cpap, model 7100, through a newspaper ad.  didn't know what I was doing.  tried it for a week or so. always woke up with full face mask on the floor.  tried years ago to give it to a couple dme stores but no interest so it ended up in an unheated attic for 20 years.  needs new hose, mask and filter but seems to operate as it should.  

single setting capable of 3cm to 18cm pressure.  not many bells and whistles. 30 minute ramp. leak test. dual voltage. dc port. remote port.  manual says it's compact, lightweight and quiet.  maybe not by today's standards?

it must good for something other than the landfill.  going to try giving it to a nonprofit that collects distributes loans home medical supplies to needy people but even their website indicates they only want late model stuff.  or maybe some technically savvy person could cannibalize parts for something else?

alternatively, maybe with some experimentation it would do as a backup machine.  or a secondary machine placed in another room for a nap in the easy chair, say, or a second home or RV.  how do I get a mask and hose.  do I have to find a doc to give me a prescription for the exact items?  

any suggestions for what I should do with this "antique"?

RE: tranquility plus cpap machine - Fats Drywaller - 05-12-2018

(05-12-2018, 05:25 PM)sheepless Wrote: alternatively, maybe with some experimentation it would do as a backup machine.  or a secondary machine placed in another room for a nap in the easy chair, say, or a second home or RV.  how do I get a mask and hose.  do I have to find a doc to give me a prescription for the exact items?  

Hose doesn't need Rx. For mask, any old CPAP Rx will do; doesn't have to specify beyond the HCPCS code, and many retailers don't even check that. My Rx has no code at all for mask, only for machine, but I've bought masks with it.

As for the ancient doorstop, I'm afeared that's all it is if you don't want to use it as a backup machine. Sad It's nice to imagine that it could have a second life somewhere, somehow, but that's not realistic. Think of, for instance, a mass-market computer from that same year: is that useful to anyone now?

RE: tranquility plus cpap machine - Fats Drywaller - 05-12-2018

You know, though, there is freecycle.org, if that's active in your area, and if it pains you to dump the thing in a landfill, you could offer it to a good home there and see whether you get a taker. Sometimes it's surprising what sorts of old items a few people still want. I've given away old electronics myself a few times, although not on freecycle. That is a good feeling in a small way, to save some device from being junked.

A few weeks ago, just out of curiosity, I did a search on freecycle for CPAP items, not limited geographically, and I did see half a dozen things offered over the last year or so. There was a P10 mask, and some unused supplies like filters and things, but not any machine. However, that was over all of the USA, so in any particular metro area or county there wouldn't be much.

Edited to add: Oops, I was forgetting this one, make & model unspecified:

Quote:OFFER: CPap Machine
Date : Fri Apr 6 18:24:22 2018
Description

I have a used CPap machine if you need one

RE: tranquility plus cpap machine - sheepless - 05-13-2018

put it out on the curb with the beat up old sofa and a FREE sign? yeah, might be worth the effort to put on some of these give-away sites since no cost to seller. thanks for the ideas.