Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping (/Thread-Pulse-Rate-Range-While-Sleeping)

Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - Dream Machine - 05-18-2018

I just got a pulse oximeter (CMS 50F) and my pulse rate ranged from 46-76 during the night. Is it normal to vary that much? I noted that the spikes were not connected to apneas and the oxygen level stayed around 92-95, even during hypopneas.  I had several instances when the pulse suddenly shot up 20. Is a nighttime pulse rate range of 30 normal?

RE: Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - srlevine1 - 05-18-2018

(05-18-2018, 03:09 AM)Dream Machine Wrote: I just got a pulse oximeter (CMS 50F) and my pulse rate ranged from 46-76 during the night. Is it normal to vary that much? I noted that the spikes were not connected to apneas and the oxygen level stayed around 92-95, even during hypopneas.  I had several instances when the pulse suddenly shot up 20. Is a nighttime pulse rate range of 30 normal?

First, I found that the CMS 50F was susceptible to movement-induced artifacts over time. I can see spikes, dips, and drop-outs that are meaningless. When measured against my ResMed/Nonin 3012LP which is hundreds of dollars more expensive, the results were about the same. The sensors for the comparison were on adjacent fingers during the test.

Second, because I have a heart arrhythmia (PVCs), the heart rate appears to be artificially lower because the detection algorithm always cannot account for the arrhythmia.

Third, when I showed my electrophysiologist the lower reading of 30, he pointed out that it was impossible as my AICD would have paced my heart at that rate, recorded the results, and sent the information to the monitoring station over my bedside transmission system.

I suggest you try recording the results for a few days and then ask your physician to review the findings.

It is hard to generalize given individual physiology, age, diet, hydration, altitude, oxygen saturation, condition, restlessness, and the sleep stage, so unless you are an athlete or have an arrhythmia, your resting heart rate at night should be somewhere about 50-60 at night and about 80-100 in the day time. If you have a low heart rate and a low oxygen saturation number, then you most definitely want to follow it up with your physician -- if for nothing else but peace of mind. Remember: this is not gospel and your rates will vary.

RE: Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - Dream Machine - 05-18-2018

Thanks for your informative answer. Perhaps I should clarify. The low was 46 and the high was 76, and I know these are both within a normal range during sleep. The question is whether the several sudden spikes I had from about 53 to 73 is normal. Is it normal to spike up 20 beats per minute?

I don't think that these spikes were due to movement.

RE: Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - Walla Walla - 05-18-2018

It's normal for the pulse rate to increase during REM sleep. So it could be that is what is going on. Or it could be what was mentioned before.

RE: Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - Hojo - 05-18-2018

Just moving your arms will cause an increase in HR, rolling over will as well, scary dreams, I don't even want to go there.

RE: Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - srlevine1 - 05-18-2018

(05-18-2018, 04:07 AM)Dream Machine Wrote: Thanks for your informative answer. Perhaps I should clarify. The low was 46 and the high was 76, and I know these are both within a normal range during sleep. The question is whether the several sudden spikes I had from about 53 to 73 is normal. Is it normal to spike up 20 beats per minute?

I don't think that these spikes were due to movement.

Spikes from a heart monitor are mostly routine and do not indicate an underlying problem. They can be caused by an arrhythmia, motion, and your body's reaction to a reduction in oxygen -- unless they appear frequently or seem to be cyclical in a pattern, they would probably be judged as being "normal."  Again, for your peace of mind, discuss the matter with your physician.

In my case, premature ventricular contractions produce an extra beat which may present as a spike in heart rate (because the pulses are closer together and appear faster).

RE: Pulse Rate Range While Sleeping - Mosquitobait - 05-18-2018

In addition to what srlevine1 has already said, if you have a sustained pulse rate below 50 during sleep, bring that up to your primary the next time you see him/her. It is BECAUSE I have a sustained pulse rate of 42 that I have CPAP. My oxygen level starts dropping about an hour after I fall asleep. At the same time, if you sustained a pulse rate over 90 while sleeping, that could be a potential for concern. Spiking though - probably not. If you otherwise feel well, it's likely not a problem. If it bothers you, take the data from a couple of nights in with your to your primary.