Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes. (/Thread-Solution-for-air-leakage-around-nose-bothering-eyes)

Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes. - AlwaysTired2018 - 05-20-2018

It is my understanding that all masks do leak a little around the nose. This often bothers the eyes, but I have a solution that works for me. I like to leave a light on when I sleep in case I need to get up when it's dark, so I don't blunder into things, but my brain prefers that I have darkness for sleeping. Shortly before I got my current CPAP system I had taken to using wide headbands as eye shades when sleeping. They work well as eye shades, but I found that they also help protect my eyes from the tiny bit of leakage around the nose area of the mask.

Approx 12 years ago I tried using a CPAP system, but it didn't work for me at that time, as there was one basic full face mask style, in several different brands, and it wouldn't maintain a seal, so I was getting even less sleep with the system, than I got without it, so I stopped using it. It was that sort of triangle shape that most full face masks come in. About a year ago I had another sleep study, and my sleep apnea had gotten worse, so I was again prescribed a CPAP system. This time there were other models of full face masks to choose from, and the technician set me up with the Amara View, which does hold a seal well for me, so I have been able to keep using the current system. The old mask leaked around the nose too, and that bothered my eyes, but I didn't use the system long enough that time to make an issue of it. Fortunately, I don't have to suffer from it with the new mask, even though that one leaks a tiny bit around the nose, because the wide headband eye shade works very well.

If air leaks are bothering your eyes, give a wide headband eye shade a try. They are cheap and easy to get, if you don't already have any. like  Sleep-well

RE: Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes. - JesseLee - 05-20-2018

I'm a full face mask user and if it leaks around my eyes I consider that a poor fit. I don't think it's reasonable to expect leakage on any part of the mask other than the vent. I understand that every face is unique, but my goal is zero leaks.

RE: Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes. - OpalRose - 05-20-2018

Hi AlwaysTired2018,
Thanks for the tip. A good idea as long as it is comfortable.

You can also try using a mask liner, which some of the online suppliers sell.

RE: Solution for air leakage around nose bothering eyes. - Walla Walla - 05-20-2018

(05-20-2018, 09:15 PM)AlwaysTired2018 Wrote: I like to leave a light on when I sleep in case I need to get up when it's dark, so I don't blunder into things, but my brain prefers that I have darkness for sleeping. Shortly before I got my current CPAP system I had taken to using wide headbands as eye shades when sleeping.

I guess it's a good thing you didn't buy the clap on, clap off light switch. Too-funny