Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Long Exhale - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Long Exhale (/Thread-Long-Exhale)

Long Exhale - telukuntlas - 05-28-2018

Hi Friends, 

I do not have sleep apnea but there is some obstruction (of soft palette/uvula), so my ENT suggested CPAP machine. It seems to be working fine for me. This is my first week using the CPAP machine (with 5 pressure). 

First couple of days, I did a lengthy inhale and exhale instead of breathing normally. Now I am exhaling for too long even without the machine (during the day) which is causing me issue when I am trying to take a nap without the CPAP (due to change in breathing pattern). Is this something that will get back to normal over time or is there something I can do for this? 

Please advice.

Thanks,
Sirish.

RE: Long Exhale - ShaunBlake - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 07:08 PM)telukuntlas Wrote: I do not have sleep apnea but there is some obstruction (of soft palette/uvula), so my ENT suggested CPAP machine. It seems to be working fine for me. This is my first week using the CPAP machine (with 5 pressure). 

First couple of days, I did a lengthy inhale and exhale instead of breathing normally. Now I am exhaling for too long even without the machine (during the day) which is causing me issue when I am trying to take a nap without the CPAP (due to change in breathing pattern). Is this something that will get back to normal over time or is there something I can do for this?

Hi telukuntlas, and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear of your affliction; I'd be delighted if you joined us just for the fun of it.  It's great that you don't have sleep apnea, but what you actually have might be far worse — I sure can't imagine how I could deal with it.

Since I'm so ignorant, I don't really have any advice yet you may get some inspiration if I share how my initial introduction(s) went.  (That's plural because I was diagnosed 20 or 30 years ago but over the next ~10 years "outgrew" the need for the therapy, then bad choices caused problems to crop up about 8 years ago.)

First time was a bit stressful: getting used to having some intrusive headgear on; tolerating wearing and breathing through a nasal mask; etc.  However, the symptoms I'd been having disappeared almost immediately, so I very quickly bought into the therapy and in a few weeks wasn't comfortable going to sleep without it.

Sirish, I'm a little uncertain of what you're describing; I can assure you that it's pretty common to change your breathing rhythm with inhaling or exhaling, and even both inhaling and exhaling.  For most of us that doesn't last too long; I expect that this week you'll find that's no longer such a problem.

About napping — you might want to use the machine while you are napping as well.  I often do so although it's a bother — I nap in my recliner, a different room than my bedroom.  Like breathing patterns, you probably will get comfortable napping without the CPAP, yet if it helps you enjoy your nap more, and isn't too much trouble to set up, why not?

Hope that helps!

RE: Long Exhale - Sleeprider - 05-29-2018

Sirish, which CPAP model do you have. Some of them provide good data, and allow you to see the inspiration and expiration time. Some people with restrictive lungs or airways experience long exhale cycles, but it is not created by the CPAP. You may have become more aware of your breathing while using CPAP, but I can't think of any mechanism that would affect your untreated I:E time or respiratory rate.