Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Soft collar - Protection against sweat - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Soft collar - Protection against sweat (/Thread-Soft-collar-Protection-against-sweat)

Pages: 1 2

Soft collar - Protection against sweat - sheepless - 06-03-2018

does anyone have a clever (and easy?) way to protect a soft collar from sweat?  mine is like a sponge.  at minimum will have to have 2nd collar while 1st dries after hand wash every other day or so but thinking also about some kind of waterproof or resistant barrier against collar and some kind of washable or disposable fabric against neck. even if I find usable materials lying around, not sure how to attach such a thing.

RE: Best soft collar? - ShaunBlake - 06-03-2018

(06-03-2018, 04:36 PM)sheepless Wrote: does anyone have a clever (and easy?) way to protect a soft collar from sweat?  mine is like a sponge. 

No, however an idea occurs to me to get a couple of white athletic socks, cut the toe end off and slip the tube over your collar.  (I don't have one yet so can't try it out before making the suggestion.)

Alternately, ask around to find a family member or friend who sews to make a tube out of an old T-shirt.

RE: Best soft collar? - Allessio77 - 06-03-2018

(06-03-2018, 04:36 PM)sheepless Wrote: does anyone have a clever (and easy?) way to protect a soft collar from sweat?  mine is like a sponge.  at minimum will have to have 2nd collar while 1st dries after hand wash every other day or so but thinking also about some kind of waterproof or resistant barrier against collar and some kind of washable or disposable fabric against neck. even if I find usable materials lying around, not sure how to attach such a thing.

The Dr Dakota collar only goes around 180 degrees of you neck, not 360--so somewhat cooler.

But I do you baby powder before putting the collar on. It helps keep things cool.

RE: Best soft collar? - sheepless - 06-03-2018

great ideas. keep 'em coming.

very large stretchy socks might work. getting my wife to break out the sewing machine might require some high stakes negotiation but also good idea. I like the idea of the dr dakota but I saw only the large size on amazon. having a stubby neck means I need about 2.5 - 2.75 inches vertical rise max. dr dakota website shows a regular size but no vertical dimension visible. will have to call.

RE: Best soft collar? - sheepless - 06-03-2018

forgot about baby powder. anyone else read that there's something in it that's harmful? can't keep up; I don't know anymore if it's okay or not to eat eggs (for example) or coffee. however, if not baby powder, baking soda might help.

RE: Best soft collar? - ShaunBlake - 06-03-2018

(06-03-2018, 05:51 PM)sheepless Wrote: great ideas. keep 'em coming. 

Huh!  my next ideer is gonna cost ya.  email me a six-pack of Guinness Stout unless you want a GREAT ideer, in which case, it'll hafta be a 3/4 liter of Jamison's.

RE: Best soft collar? - JesseLee - 06-03-2018

Maybe a shot in the dark, but a really high thread count satin material used as a cover or liner of sorts?

RE: [split] Soft collar - Protection against sweat - sheepless - 06-03-2018

shaun, getting waaaay off topic here but how can I not bite? not at all sure what you mean but if I read you literally, I'd reply: never could handle jamisons so never developed a taste. guiness, on the other hand, is one of my favorite nectars. sadly, in the interest of peace at home, saving money and losing weight I gave it all up many years ago. sadder still, even though gave up potato chips at the same time, I never acheived any of those noble goals. no jamisons, no guiness, no chips around the house to offer you but if that's what it takes to hear your 'ideer' I'll find a way.

RE: [split] Soft collar - Protection against sweat - ShaunBlake - 06-05-2018

Well, sheepless, now you've put me in a corner: I could be dishonest and generous saying, "Hey, sharing is what it's all about", or be honest and greedy, saying, "I certainly won't agree to sharing; I want it all for myself!"

I'm sad to hear that your enormous sacrifice hasn't produced the desired result – ain't it always the case?  I can assure you that giving up Jamison's would have equally ineffective.  It's a one-way street: drink the stuff and get fat; quit drinking the stuff and stay fat. <sob>  There outta be a law!

Okay, since you've backed me into such an embarrassing position, I'll tell you what I've been thinking about: checking out spray products like Scotchgard™ to keep the fabric from absorbing oils and perspiration.  (I know, I know, it's not worth even one Guinness, much less the Jamison's but hey, now I don't hafta ask forgiveness, right?)

RE: [split] Soft collar - Protection against sweat - sheepless - 06-05-2018

actually, the spray thing is a great idea; worth a look. if no side effects like being hard and scratchy or carcinogenic it just might work.