Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Different masks - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Different masks (/Thread-Different-masks)

Pages: 1 2

Different masks - Chieffy123 - 06-07-2018

Good day

Sorry but Im full of questions.

I have just reviewed my past 2+ months. I have noticed that I experience more sleep apneas ( mine 90 % central).  When using  mask f20 than when using ResMed nose pillow unit.

I like the pillow best because I sleep on my left side do to pain but experience sore nose after a week or so. I than switch to my full mask Resmed f20 till soreness subsides.

Is it because I occasionally mouth breath or is it just coincidence

Thanks yet again

RE: Different masks - Sleeprider - 06-07-2018

Really hard to say why you central apnea rate increases when using a full-face as compared to the nasal pillows. You might want to switch to a larger nasal pillow size to prevent the sore nose problem. Without any data to reference we can only speculate on the cause.

RE: Different masks - Chieffy123 - 06-07-2018

I thank you for your reply.

I think I just have a sensitive nose lol

I have tried all three sizes and unfortunately have had the same results. 

I talked to a friend this morning and he suggested using cotton liners.

I emailed the company and they are sending me a sample pack to try

I really hopes it helps with my nose 

As far as mouth breathing can it effect the events/ hr. ?

In my mind if mouth open machine can't  sense pressure so doesn't register. Hope I'm wrong with assuption as I really like pillow mask

RE: Different masks - Marillion - 06-07-2018

Hello fello Canuck! If you are using nasal pillows, including the Resmed Airfit P10, there is a period of acclimatization where your nares (the sensitive area under your nose) needs to get used to having something touching them all night. They are, after all not used to that sort of a thing.

To alleviate the soreness, try using a cream called Lansinoh (over the counter cream breastfeeding mothers use on their nipples to alleviate breastfeeding soreness) available at pretty much all pharmacies. it is very safe and effective. Use a bit more during the day and put on a bit at night. Eventually your nares will not not be sore once they have gotten used to the mask. Right now you are getting miniscule cracks or tears in the skin that is hurting. It will go away after you use the P10 regularly but not if you go back to it only occaisonally.

Also, keep in mind that if you are using the P10 mask, you can spread the two straps wider apart so that there is less of a tight fit on your nose. You really don't need to have it too tight. Once the air pressure gets going they tend to sit a bit more firmly in your nose by themselves. You should not have the straps too close together. Put one close to your neck and the other close to the crown of your head. Eventually when the straps stretch you can move them closer together.

I would not use cotton liners. Personally, I feel it could increase the likelihood for leaks and they will not be necessary once your nares get used to the partnership with the P10.

RE: Different masks - Chieffy123 - 06-07-2018

Thank you so much. It all makes so much sense.
I will go get cream asap

RE: Different masks - ShaunBlake - 06-07-2018

(06-07-2018, 11:48 AM)Marillion Wrote: <snip>
To alleviate the soreness, try using a cream called Lansinoh
<snip>

Won't that make the silicone degrade faster?  And is that a serious issue?  (I'm finding that mine last far longer than Medicare expects them to last.)

RE: Different masks - JesseLee - 06-07-2018

(06-07-2018, 07:31 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
<snip>

Won't that make the silicone degrade faster?  And is that a serious issue?  (I'm finding that mine last far longer than Medicare expects them to last.)

I've been using wool wax (pure lanolin) and haven't noticed any issues with mask material. I have to be careful not to get it in my eyes because it irritates them, but otherwise, no issues.

The reason i use it, it seems to cut the time down on redness of my face in the morning where the cushion resides.

RE: Different masks - Marillion - 06-08-2018

<snip>

No it will not.  Lanolin will not affect the silicone.  This has been proven by many users over the years.

Yes, masks as well as the silicone interface do tend to last much longer than medicare, or Resmed for that matter, recommend for replacement.  However, everyone is different and their mask care regimen is different.  They err on the side of caution for replacement on the worst case scenario basis.

RE: Different masks - RedBarron - 06-13-2018

<snip>

Yeah, I am with ya there! When I was using the ResMed P10 before switching to the AirTouch F20, the DME supplier would send me six pillows every 3 months, two per month, and I found that that one set lasted me far far longer than that. I have boxes filled with nasal pillows I never used because they kept sending them even though I told them I didn't need them.

When I first started using an APAP six years ago, my RT told me if I experience nasal irritation from the pillows to use some regular KY Jelly because it was water based and would not degrade the silicon in the pillows.

RE: Different masks - Sheepish - 06-17-2018

Another testimonial for Lansinoh here, also used with a Resmed P10. After using the P10 for a few weeks or months, your nares will "toughen up, buttercup." However, every once in a while you might be woken by soreness, and an immediate application of Lansinoh (and a temporary switch to an alternate mask if you happen to have one handy) plus a preemptive application the following day will set you right again and the soreness will subside and disappear.

[Image: lansinoh-lanolin-box.jpg]