Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold (/Thread-Dreamstation-500X110-Air-too-cold)

Pages: 1 2

Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Musepux - 06-07-2018

Hello,
new to the forum. Would love to use my machine again after putting it aside due to different problems.
So I am starting over. Right now, the air seems too cold. I know that it's room temperature, but it feels like coming directly from my fridge. Since I am sensitive to cold air, I feel I am getting a cold when I use it.
The preheated humidifier is on, heated tube HT15, Apex mask. 
Downloaded SleepyHead just now, but cannot provide data yet.

Anybody knows the problem?

Thanks!

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Walla Walla - 06-07-2018

You should be able to adjust the both the humidifier and hose temps. If you don't see them than enter into the Therapy settings by holding the big knob and ramp button in for 5 seconds. You can adjust them in there. You also can request a clinic manual in the members private files section.

Welcome to the board.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - JesseLee - 06-07-2018

Also, the humidifier may need to be reseated with the blower. There is a button on the bottom edge of the machine on the filter side. If you press the button and pull the machine apart, the put the assembly back together it may reseat the connection. Make sure the humidifier water tub is removed before doing this.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Reznik - 06-07-2018

(06-07-2018, 11:57 AM)Musepux Wrote: Hello,
new to the forum. Would love to use my machine again after putting it aside due to different problems.
So I am starting over. Right now, the air seems too cold. I know that it's room temperature, but it feels like coming directly from my fridge. Since I am sensitive to cold air, I feel I am getting a cold when I use it.
The preheated humidifier is on, heated tube HT15, Apex mask. 
Downloaded SleepyHead just now, but cannot provide data yet.

Anybody knows the problem?

Thanks!

If your humidifier has water in it, but you have the setting low, then the air will be cooled as a result of evaporative cooling.  If you want a warmer temperature, turn the humidifier setting up.  That will warm the water, and the air.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - OpalRose - 06-08-2018

Hi Musepux,
Everyone is different. Sometimes I enjoy the cooler air, sometimes not.

Turn your heated hose setting up a little higher. The heated hose can be adjusted separately from the humifier setting. Although, too much humidity sometimes is not better than too little. Experiment to find what works for you.

Do you have a Clinicians Manual? See link at top of page.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Musepux - 06-08-2018

(06-08-2018, 06:52 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Musepux,
Everyone is different.  Sometimes I enjoy the cooler air, sometimes not.  

Turn your heated hose setting up a little higher. The heated hose can be adjusted separately from the humifier setting.  Although, too much humidity sometimes is not better than too little.  Experiment to find what works for you.

Do you have a Clinicians Manual?  See link at top of page.

Thanks, everybody. I managed to crank it up.
If I have further questions, do I keep asking here or shall I open another thread?

Thanks again.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Walla Walla - 06-08-2018

If it's a new topic go ahead and start a new thread.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Reznik - 06-08-2018

(06-08-2018, 11:06 AM)Musepux Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 06:52 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Musepux,
Everyone is different.  Sometimes I enjoy the cooler air, sometimes not.  

Turn your heated hose setting up a little higher. The heated hose can be adjusted separately from the humifier setting.  Although, too much humidity sometimes is not better than too little.  Experiment to find what works for you.

Do you have a Clinicians Manual?  See link at top of page.

Thanks, everybody. I managed to crank it up.
If I have further questions, do I keep asking here or shall I open another thread?

Thanks again.

FYI- Turning up the heated hose will warm the air without adding any new water.  When you do that, you reduce the relative humidity in the air, making it drier than it would have been had you not turned up the heated hose.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Crimson Nape - 06-08-2018

(06-08-2018, 01:11 PM)Reznik Wrote: FYI- Turning up the heated hose will warm the air without adding any new water. 

A-h-h-h-h I don't believe that to be correct.  According to Resmed, if the ClimateLine is set to "Auto", it will try and maintain an 85% humidity level based on the hose temperature.

Here is the actual verbiage from their site:
Resmed Website Wrote:ClimateControl Auto mode is the recommended mode to use when using ClimateLine Air heated tube. It is the default mode, set to an air temperature at the mask of 80°F(27°C) and 85% relative humidity. If you feel the need to decrease or increase the temperature, you need to switch to Manual mode, and carefully look at the humidity level as well as the heated tube temperature to help prevent rainout.

I hope this may clarify this matter.

RE: Dreamstation 500X110 - Air too cold - Reznik - 06-08-2018

(06-08-2018, 01:22 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 01:11 PM)Reznik Wrote: FYI- Turning up the heated hose will warm the air without adding any new water. 

A-h-h-h-h I don't believe that to be correct.  According to Resmed, if the ClimateLine is set to "Auto", it will try and maintain an 85% humidity level based on the hose temperature.

Here is the actual verbiage from their site:
Resmed Website Wrote:ClimateControl Auto mode is the recommended mode to use when using ClimateLine Air heated tube. It is the default mode, set to an air temperature at the mask of 80°F(27°C) and 85% relative humidity. If you feel the need to decrease or increase the temperature, you need to switch to Manual mode, and carefully look at the humidity level as well as the heated tube temperature to help prevent rainout.

I hope this may clarify this matter.

I'm pretty sure that's only true if the humidifier is set to Auto and the heated hose is set to Auto.  

If you manually set the heated hose to a higher temperature (which is what someone previously recomended), the auto functionality on the heated hose is disabled and the temperature you choose is used instead.  So, you'll no longer get 80 degrees at 85% RH.  You'll get the temperature you chose instead.

I'm not sure on whether you can keep the humidifier at auto when you choose to manually set heated hose temperature, but if you can, then I'd expect that as you increased the temperature on the heated hose, the system would reacted by increasing the temperature in the humidifier to keep the relative humidity at 85%.

If manually setting the heated hose temperature disables the auto humidity function, then increasing the heated hose temperature without increasing the humidity temperature will result in a net reduction of the relative humidity.

I use an **unheated** hose.  Using an IR thermometer, I measured the temperature of the humidifier chamber and the temperature of the inside of the mask.  Typically, at 80 degrees in the chamber, you lose about 1-2 degrees in temperature between the humidifier and chamber.  The higher the chamber temperature, the greater loss in the hose.  At 120 degrees in the chamber, you can lose about 6-8 degrees in the hose.  If you put a hose wrap on, the loss becomes almost zero.  The same is true if you use a heated hose.