Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help with Pressure - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help with Pressure (/Thread-Help-with-Pressure)

Help with Pressure - sleeper37 - 06-07-2018

Two weeks ago I started using a CPAP machine.  I came in very excited as I was always getting sleepy during the day.  I'm currently on a trial to see how I'm fairing.  I've been set up with a ResMed AirSense 10 for Her (I'm a male and Dr. said it didn't matter).  The first week, I was set up with a Dreamwear FFM.  I found this uncomfortable and was switched to another FFM (can't remember the brand) because I'm a mouth breather.

I'm not sure if the mask affects anything, but I've found the pressure on the machine to be unbearable at times.  I feel like my mouth is getting full of air.  I end up ripping the mask off a couple of times a night.  My wife says it's louder and I think it's the air shooting out of the mask that makes it louder.  I've included the graph.  Is the pressure too high?

I'm fairly new to this and didn't know what kinds of questions to ask my doctor.  But, after some more research, I found this board, sleepyhead and looking at the data.  Just need some help before visiting her again next week.

Thanks.

RE: Help with Pressure - Gary1of2 - 06-07-2018

Practice sucking your tongue to the roof of your mouth. That is what I do with my tongue. Its not to do with pressure. The machine dose is pretty good a figuring ouut your needs.As the machine being for her it has more features in which can be more beneficial. It gets better with time. So have patience.

RE: Help with Pressure - Reznik - 06-07-2018

You have an auto adjusting machine.  It starts at a lower pressure, but raises the pressure as the machine detects that you're having flow restrictions and apneas.  The machine has a low setting and high setting that is programmed by your medical equipment supplier using the parameters given to them by your doctor.  He probably just picked the lower and upper limit based upon his experience with what he thinks works for most people.  He's right about the "for her" designation.  Your model will work the same as any other AutoSet model, it just comes in a lighter color.

If the pressure is getting too high to be comfortable, you should talk to your doctor about lowering the upper limit.  You can actually do that yourself if you're so inclined.  There are instructions in the Clinician Manual section of this forum.

You may end up with a slightly higher AHI as a result, but it might still be good enough (and better than quitting).  The true goal is better sleep.  And after six months, you may become comfortable raising it slowly, and end up with both better sleep and a lower AHI.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

RE: Help with Pressure - Sleeprider - 06-08-2018

Sleeper37, your results at pressure 6-14, EPR off, show you have mostly some residual obstructive apnea and hypopnea. My first suggestion would be to use EPR to improve your hypopnea results and comfort. Secondly, you minimum pressure is probably too low, and I would start increasing that. Your median pressure is 11.76 in this graph, so I don't think saying a minimum pressure of 10 is out of order.