Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Strange graph - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Strange graph (/Thread-Strange-graph)

Pages: 1 2

Strange graph - txrpls - 06-15-2018

Hello All,

It has been a while and everything is going well with my CPAP experience. I generally have AHI in the 1 to 2 range, but generally the lower 1s. I had a chart that I have never seen before. Can one of you gurus tell me what is going on? It almost looks like the lower portion of the graph was cut off.

[attachment=6790]

RE: Strange graph - sheepless - 06-15-2018

txrpls, take this with a grain of salt and wait for more experienced folks to chime in but I think I've read elsewhere in this forum that a flow rate wave form that looks like yours indicates a mouth leak. it looks like the leak graph rises at the same time. going out on a limb to test my 'knowledge'.

RE: Strange graph - JesseLee - 06-15-2018

This looks like you are exhaling through your mouth.

Were you using the P10?

RE: Strange graph - txrpls - 06-26-2018

(06-15-2018, 07:47 PM)JesseLee Wrote: This looks like you are exhaling through your mouth.

Were you using the P10?

Hi Jesse,

Usually, I would say that you might be right, but I use a chinstrap (ultimate chinstrap) that also covers my mouth and stopped my mouth breathing. I have also experienced this a couple of times since the original post. Last night my AHI jumped to 3.23 and the stretch where I had a similar graph, had 10 OAs. I'm thinking sleeping on my back does this.

RE: Strange graph - Walla Walla - 06-26-2018

Even though you have a chin strap air can leak through your lips. Your leak rate wasn't that high but it was elevated exactly the same time the flow graph is showing the missing exhale breaths.

RE: Strange graph - txrpls - 06-27-2018

Thanks

RE: Strange graph - tedvpap - 06-27-2018

(06-26-2018, 08:16 AM)txrpls Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 07:47 PM)JesseLee Wrote: This looks like you are exhaling through your mouth.

Were you using the P10?

Hi Jesse,

Usually, I would say that you might be right, but I use a chinstrap (ultimate chinstrap) that also covers my mouth and stopped my mouth breathing. I have also experienced this a couple of times since the original post. Last night my AHI jumped to 3.23 and the stretch where I had a similar graph, had 10 OAs. I'm thinking sleeping on my back does this.

It would be nice to see 20 breaths.  I also us the UCS and get minor mouth leaking but my wave forms still look coorect.
PS. I fold a sock in half and use it to line the chin strap.  It helps to lower the leak rate and keeps the UCS clean.

RE: Strange graph - txrpls - 06-27-2018

(06-27-2018, 08:33 PM)tedvpap Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 08:16 AM)txrpls Wrote:

Were you using the P10?

Hi Jesse,

It would be nice to see 20 breaths.  I also us the UCS and get minor mouth leaking but my wave forms still look coorect.
PS. I fold a sock in half and use it to line the chin strap.  It helps to lower the leak rate and keeps the UCS clean.

[attachment=7060] here is about twenty breaths from that flat area

RE: Strange graph - tedvpap - 06-27-2018

Thanks for showing the breaths.  It looks like the inhalation may be limited (the tops look flat) - you may want to try increasing the pressure.  
I have never seen the expiration look like that.  The peak flow rate looks about right but there is no area under the curve (low expiration time) so the volume of air must be leaking out the mouth.   Interesting.

RE: Strange graph - Walla Walla - 06-28-2018

Those are mouth leaks.