Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
loud lab - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: loud lab (/Thread-loud-lab)

Pages: 1 2

loud lab - jerry1967 - 06-18-2018

Can the insurance company tell me which sleep lab I have to use for a new sleep study? I had a bad experience with my last one. they keep me awake all night talking and laughing. I complained to the tech and he brought me some earplugs instead of being quiet.

RE: loud lab - Crimson Nape - 06-18-2018

I believe that you're talking to the wrong person. I'd recommend talking to the Sleep Lab administrator and the prescribing doctor. As far as your insurance, they probably only have a few that are certified by them. You can always ask. The worst they can say is, "No".

RE: loud lab - Walla Walla - 06-18-2018

Yes . If you want them to pay they can tell which labs they will accept. You probably can use another one but might have to travel some.

RE: loud lab - mesenteria - 06-18-2018

(06-18-2018, 10:56 AM)jerry1967 Wrote: Can the insurance company tell me which sleep lab I have to use for a new sleep study? I had a bad experience with my last one. they keep me awake all night talking and laughing. I complained to the tech and he brought me some earplugs instead of being quiet.

They're paying the bill, or at least a portion of it, and can impose their discretion on your choices of sleep lab.  It would be an ethical approach to problem-solving if you were to apprise both the insurance company and the director of the lab of your negative experience.  Between the two, one of them should have the integrity to 'do something about it', whether declining to send more clients to that lab or the lab director having a firm discussion with his/her technicians.  I didn't have that unprofessional experience, twice, and neither should you have had to endure that kind of unwanted interference in your health assessment.

RE: loud lab - jerry1967 - 06-18-2018

thank you, everybody, just not a very good experience

RE: loud lab - Sleeprider - 06-18-2018

Jerry, the term you're looking for is "in-network". Insurance companies negotiate contracts with providers for these services, and the providers with agreements become in-network. You can get a list of in-network doctors, sleep centers, DMEs etc either onlilne from your insurance company's website, or by asking your insurance company for a list. You can choose from any provider on the list. Just request that your doctor make the referral to your choice from the in-network provider list. The easiest thing to do is call them.

RE: loud lab - SarcasticDave94 - 06-18-2018

I agree with others above. If it were me, I'd call the insurance customer service and/or coverage line. You want to ask about sleep study locations in-network, as Sleeprider mentioned. Get several locations (3 minimum) starting closest to your home. Call and possibly visit these locations and check online reviews about these as well. You're goal is to get an understanding of what these locations could be like during sleep studies and the overall environment they have.

Helpful hint: if the one you've already visited was the only one allowed, just ask if there's any exceptions allowed for an office in a nearby county, region, etc. due to less than satisfactory testing last time. IMO be very specific as to what happened and why it didn't work well.

Coffee

RE: loud lab - jerry1967 - 06-19-2018

Can anybody tell me where I can buy an oxygen saturation machine while I am asleep?

RE: loud lab - Sleep2Snore - 06-19-2018

Can't believe this, when I was diagnosed in Scotland they were in another room and you wouldn't know they were even there! I would complain, how are you meant to get good results and a proper diagnoses if you can't get to sleep for the staff?

RE: loud lab - Sleeprider - 06-19-2018

(06-19-2018, 07:46 AM)jerry1967 Wrote: Can anybody tell me where I can buy an oxygen saturation machine while I am asleep?

Not sure what you are asking for. Do you want an oximeter to measure SpO2?  If so, Supplier #19 comes highly rated, and the owner can help you make a selection. Oximeters come in all prices and styles.