Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Symptoms] Pee (sorry!) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Symptoms] Pee (sorry!) (/Thread-Symptoms-Pee-sorry)

Pages: 1 2

Pee (sorry!) - vushi - 06-27-2018

Hi everyone - I am one month in and two things I am worried about I hope seasoned CPAP users can help ease my mind with:

1) I no longer need to pee when I wake up. I was getting up twice in the night before CPAP and running to the bathroom when I wake up. Should I try a diuretic? Should I be concerned?

2) I am gaining weight like crazy! Up 12 pounds! Is this normal?

Thanks Sad

RE: Pee (sorry!) - Walla Walla - 06-27-2018

It's normal for you not to have to get up during the night. But once you wake up you should normally be able to urinate. Some things to check are if your taking any medications that might cause enema. Other things you can do is to cut back your sodium intake and make sure your drinking at least 64oz of water a day. I know it may seem strange but drinking more water will help you lose water weight.

RE: Pee (sorry!) - Crimson Nape - 06-27-2018

Hi vushi  - Welcome
Sleep apnea stresses the body and can raise your blood pressure.  Like a pressure cooker, your body's defense for increased pressure is to let off steam (urinate for humans).  That's why many of the older BP medicines where diuretics.   Your reduction in nighttime bathroom breaks is a sign that your CPAP therapy is working.  This is a GOOD thing.  

The weight gain is another story. It could be caused from medications or increased energy and appetite from better sleep.   Have ever heard or experienced the phrase, "Too tired to eat"?  Well, sleep apnea may cause this and using the CPAP negates this unintended diet.

One thing that is good; Using your CPAP will allow you to have a longer time to try to lose the extra pounds.  

Have a chocolate pecan gooey and plan out your new diet.  Big Grin

RE: Pee (sorry!) - vushi - 06-27-2018

Thanks!

RE: Pee (sorry!) - holden4th - 06-28-2018

It's a great sign that your therapy is working. Before xPAP I was getting up three times a night. Now it's once or not at all depending on how many nightcaps I decide to have.

RE: Pee (sorry!) - BaltimoreBob - 06-28-2018

I have been a continuous Cpap user for 23 years without a single missed night. No brag. Just establishing credibility. I strongly believe that you need to speak with your physician about your situation. Twelve lbs if the equivalent of 1 1/2 gallons of water. here is likely something else going on. Talk to the Doc. You'll get it straightened out.

RE: Pee (sorry!) - snorybob - 06-28-2018

Hi vushi!

What  WW. said to you make a lot of sense . I had a similar problem ,weight gain , swollen ankles . My dr. told me to exercise a little more but more important to keep an eye on my sodium intake . The salt they put in everything you eat is unbelievable . Water retention is part of the problem, after one week ankles back to normal , 2 months lost 18 pounds. The dr. visit advice is also real good .

Bag-head snorybob.

RE: Pee (sorry!) - OMyMyOHellYes - 06-28-2018

(06-27-2018, 08:46 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Some things to check are if your taking any medications that might cause enema. 

There are drugs that cause enema(s)?  Never heard that.  It would be crappy if the doc prescribed those without explicitly telling you.....

OMMOHY

RE: Pee (sorry!) - JesseLee - 06-28-2018

(06-28-2018, 04:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 08:46 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Some things to check are if your taking any medications that might cause enema. 

There are drugs that cause enema(s)?  Never heard that.  It would be crappy if the doc prescribed those without explicitly telling you.....

OMMOHY

I see what you did there  Dielaughing

RE: Pee (sorry!) - Walla Walla - 06-28-2018

Cleaver
(06-28-2018, 04:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:

OMMOHY