Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range (/Thread-Tidal-Volume-Acceptable-Range)

Pages: 1 2

Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - trance - 06-28-2018

Just found another thread that may address my question... will read it and see. Thanks!

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Flow-limitation-Minute-vent-and-Tidal-Volum

"While sleeping, what would be an acceptable range for Tidal Volume? Thank you."

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - ShaunBlake - 06-28-2018

I think I've read (in the forum) that it should be >400.  What is yours, and how do you feel?

(Just saw your update.  Still hope you'll answer my questions.)

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - trance - 06-28-2018

(06-28-2018, 11:04 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: I think I've read (in the forum) that it should be >400.  What is yours, and how do you feel?

(Just saw your update.  Still hope you'll answer my questions.)

Last night: med 320 and 95% 400
Good night.

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - Crimson Nape - 06-29-2018

Tidal volume is based on the patient weight and height.  This number is speculative, basing the values on a healthy person.   Age and life history (e.g.: smoking, residual environmental conditions) will play a part in this calculation as well.   A chart calculator does exist, but I'm unable to find it as of this post.

Here is a basic description on how  to calculate tidal volume:

Calculate the ideal body weight using the Devine Formula. For males, the formula is 50 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. For females, it is 45.5 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. Various other formulas are available, however the Devine formula is the one consistently used in pulmonary research and applications.

Calculate the tidal volume by multiplying 12 ml by the ideal body weight in kg. Keep in mind that this is not a physiologic determination of tidal volume--only an estimation. This formula is for someone who is resting comfortably and in excellent health. For patients with asthma or emphysema, multiply 10 ml by the ideal body weight. Critically ill patients in the intensive care unit have even a lower tidal volume of 8 ml/kg.

Note: Your 95% will be closer to the actual. I would suggest that you look at this value on the Overview screen, above the bar chart, to obtain a multi-day representation.

Good Luck!

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - trance - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 09:18 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Tidal volume is based on the patient weight and height.  This number is speculative, basing the values on a healthy person.   Age and life history (e.g.: smoking, residual environmental conditions) will play a part in this calculation as well.   A chart calculator does exist, but I'm unable to find it as of this post.

Calculate the ideal body weight using the Devine Formula. For males, the formula is 50 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. For females, it is 45.5 plus 2.3, times the product of height in inches minus 60. Various other formulas are available, however the Devine formula is the one consistently used in pulmonary research and applications.

Calculate the tidal volume by multiplying 12 ml by the ideal body weight in kg. Keep in mind that this is not a physiologic determination of tidal volume--only an estimation. This formula is for someone who is resting comfortably and in excellent health. For patients with asthma or emphysema, multiply 10 ml by the ideal body weight. Critically ill patients in the intensive care unit have even a lower tidal volume of 8 ml/kg.

Note: Your 95% will be closer to the actual.  I would suggest that you look at this value on the Overview screen, above the bar chart,  to obtain a multi-day representation.

Good Luck!

Thanks you, CN. My average 95% Tidal Volume is 440 and if I calculated correctly, the Tidal Volume for a 5'5" female with an ideal weight of 125 lbs. Too-funny would be about 680.

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - Crimson Nape - 06-29-2018

I would caution you to take the calculated tidal volume with skepticism.  I can't find how these values were determined.  Look at the bright side, your are breathing, hopefully you don't feel short of breath, and you're able to wake up the next day.   Sleep-well

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - Walla Walla - 06-29-2018

If your 95% tidal volume is 440ml your fine. Your medium tidal volume should be between 340-400ml. This is based on your height and ideal weight. I was using the respiratory rates of 6kg/ml to 7 kg/ml which what is normal for most people.

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - trance - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 07:23 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: If your 95% tidal volume is 440ml your fine. Your medium tidal volume should be between 340-400ml. This is based on your height and ideal weight. I was using the respiratory rates of 6kg/ml to 7 kg/ml which what is normal for most people.

My average medium is 320... so I'm close. Rolleyes

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - Walla Walla - 06-29-2018

The numbers I gave are not hard and fast rules. being 20ml off means nothing. It's still normal. Now if it was 200ml I'd be concerned.

RE: Tidal Volume Acceptable Range - MrIvanDrago - 03-02-2024

(06-29-2018, 09:18 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Tidal volume is based on the patient weight and height.  This number is speculative, basing the values on a healthy person.   Age and life history (e.g.: smoking, residual environmental conditions) will play a part in this calculation as well.   A chart calculator does exist, but I'm unable to find it as of this post.

Note: Your 95% will be closer to the actual.  I would suggest that you look at this value on the Overview screen, above the bar chart,  to obtain a multi-day representation.

Good Luck!
I just read this thread and saw you mentioned your 95% would be close to your ideal tidal volume. Why is that? I'm curious as I have been looking at tidal volume lately. Thank you.