Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? (/Thread-Have-you-gotten-your-AHIs-down-to-zero)

Pages: 1 2

Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - MrZennie - 06-29-2018

I've got my AHIs down to about 1.5 most nights.  (That's averaging 1.5 per hour) I'm mostly satisfied with this.  My pressure is fixed at 6.  The doc told me 7.8 should clear up all my events but that feels like a lot of pressure to me (I realize that's low for a lot of folks) and I'm mostly satisfied with where I'm at.  I might try working my way up, we'll see.  

How about you? Are you satisfied with anything under say, 5 events?

MrZennie

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - dwd1249 - 06-29-2018

I'm always under 5 AHI.  Sleepyhead says average of .26 AHI for the last 12 months.
I get some 0 nights, some over 2.  I can't say I feel the difference in the morning.

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - SteveMac - 06-29-2018

I'm a total newb here on the forum, but I see you have a Airsense 10 Autoset ... which is an APAP machine, yet you have it configured simply as a CPAP. Perhaps you could try changing the settings to APAP with a low setting of 6 and a high setting of 8 and give it a try?

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - Walla Walla - 06-29-2018

Even people without sleep apnea would be hard pressed to get a zero AHI every night. It's pretty much impossible. If your averaging under 2 AHI that's considered excellent by most folks.

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - MrZennie - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 05:57 PM)SteveMac Wrote: you could try changing the settings to APAP with a low setting of 6 and a high setting of 8 and give it a try?

I find when the pressure goes up, it wakes me up, so I've been sticking to fixed pressure.  I'm a really light sleeper.  But I might give it a try since I'm more adjusted to using cpap now.

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - sheepless - 06-29-2018

you've read it on this forum before: ahi is one thing but how do you feel?

with apap I was not satisfied with a 5-ish ahi because I continued to feel poorly; with asv I am satisfied with a 1 ahi because I feel less poorly.  I'm still tired, however, so I'm still not entirely satisfied with my cpap therapy overall.  based solely on common sense (as opposed to some authority) I suspect my tiredness after switching to asv is due to only slightly abated fragmentation which is caused by marginally improved but only slightly less ragged disordered breathing.  I may have to accept less than refreshing quality sleep but I am not satisfied with it.  consequently I will continue to try to smooth out my sleep breathing.  

consider that a "technically treated" person with 4.9 ahi for 6 hours does not breathe for 7m 21s (avg event length of 15 seconds).  I don't know what's 'normal' (like how much we hold our breath while awake, for example) but that sounds like a lot of time not breathing.  (maybe a better test than ahi is O2 desaturation?)  no matter how low my ahi gets, I'll always be dismayed by more than about a minute in apnea.  I just can't see how not breathing can not be a bad thing.

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - mesenteria - 06-29-2018

I have had exactly one "zero" reading since commencing therapy late last December.  My reading today was 0.3 and yesterday it was 0.2.  I'm on CPAP between 5 and 8 cm/H2O.

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - djont57 - 06-29-2018

3 months on CPAP, my lowest was 1.8; average is about 3. But, I feel so much better than b/4 CPAP.

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - Apnea Infant - 06-30-2018

(06-29-2018, 05:41 PM)MrZennie Wrote: I've got my AHIs down to about 1.5 most nights.  (That's averaging 1.5 per hour) I'm mostly satisfied with this.  My pressure is fixed at 6.  The doc told me 7.8 should clear up all my events but that feels like a lot of pressure to me (I realize that's low for a lot of folks) and I'm mostly satisfied with where I'm at.  I might try working my way up, we'll see.  

How about you? Are you satisfied with anything under say, 5 events?

MrZennie

Hello MrZennie

I have had 0.5 average for the last year. Yes I have had 0.0 but that is not what I am chasing as I know that AHI under 1 makes me feel good for the day if I have had at least 7 hours sleep. Myself I only really feel good when it is under 1 but tolerate under 2 for a day or two.

Like quite a lot of others, aerophagia was a real problem as my diagnosed pressure was 16.8 which was a storm for me. With the help of a neck collar and learning to keep my mouth closed I slowly, by degrees ,reduced my pressure with guidance  from the gurus here.

So really the important question is how do you feel? Indeed a pressure of 6 is really low and mine now starts at 9 as I am more used to pressure and with a suitable mask I am not so disturbed at nights. However even if I am disturbed and I awaken, I fall back asleep quite readily.

I appreciate your resistance to increasing pressure, being a light sleeper, but if your AHI at the numbers you are getting gives you good days, then no one can argue with that.

RE: Have you gotten your AHIs down to zero? - snorybob - 06-30-2018

On APap for almost 5 months , last 30 days 0.66 ahi ,one 0 last week . Therapy works and starting to feel better ! Bag-head
                                                                                                                                                                             snorybob.