Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
If I use Auto setting on ResMed S9.... - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: If I use Auto setting on ResMed S9.... (/Thread-If-I-use-Auto-setting-on-ResMed-S9)

Pages: 1 2

If I use Auto setting on ResMed S9.... - sleepy Bruce - 07-19-2018

If I use the Auto setting on my resmed s9 does the machine automatically increase pressure if leak is detected until Max pressure is reached?

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - Walla Walla - 07-19-2018

Aflex doesn't matter. The machine will try to keep the pressure steady during a leak until it reaches the point were it can't keep up. At that point it'll shutdown.

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - DeepBreathing - 07-19-2018

The S9 doesn't have Aflex. Do you mean EPR? Regardless, the machine will attempt to compensate for leaks up to 24 L/min by increasing the flow-rate. There will come a point where the flow rate is maxed out, but I've never been aware of the machine shutting down, unless you have autostart / smartstart turned on (which is a whole other discussion).

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - Walla Walla - 07-19-2018

There's a safety cutoff I believe it's 40cm.

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - DeepBreathing - 07-20-2018

walla walla Wrote:There's a safety cutoff I believe it's 40cm.

Yeah, that's an over-pressure cutoff. It activates if there is a blockage in the system. If you're experiencing large leaks, the machine will increase the rate of airflow to try and stabilise the pressure at the prescribed / required pressure. It doesn't keep increasing pressure above that level.

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - Walla Walla - 07-20-2018

Well than, I stand corrected. Well actually I'm sitting.

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - tedvpap - 07-20-2018

Why do you ask?
Generally speaking, PAP machines strive to deliver the targeted pressure as that is what OSA treatment requires.

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - sleepy Bruce - 07-22-2018

I wasn't looking at my machine when I posted the previous message. You are correct the two modes are CPap and Autoset. 
My question should have read Autoset mode. If you have the default settings of 4 and 20 what causes the machine to increase pressure and does it ever drop back down once its been increased. Is mask leakage the determining factor? My aSSUMPTION IS THAT THE MACHINE WOULD START AT 4 AND then increase incrementally until a max of 20 is reached and never back down until the machine is shut off nd restarted.

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - sleepy Bruce - 07-22-2018

I use EPR at 3 fulltime. I have a leakage problem not as bad as when I first started but still roughly 9Lmin I have my min pressure set at 6.8 and my max pressure set at 13. Prescribed was 12 CPAP. AHI with these settings roughly 3.2 I've tried chinstraps mouth taping I can't get to zero leaks unless I turn my pressure down to CPap 5. This unfortunately renders therapy useless AHI 13 +.

RE: If I use Aflex setting on resmed s9 - tedvpap - 07-22-2018

(07-22-2018, 09:56 AM)sleepy Bruce Wrote: I use EPR at 3 fulltime.  I have a leakage problem not as bad as when I first started but still roughly 9Lmin I have my min pressure set at 6.8 and my max pressure set at 13. Prescribed was 12 CPAP. AHI with these settings roughly 3.2  I've tried chinstraps mouth taping I can't get to zero leaks unless I turn my pressure down to CPap 5. This unfortunately renders therapy useless AHI 13 +.

A leak rate of 9 is low enough.