Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
need new study - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: need new study (/Thread-need-new-study)

need new study - Mouchet - 07-22-2018

My last study was a few years ago.

I may need a new one
1. Developed insomnia recently
2. Anxiety and depression continue to worsen

However, I just started tapering off antidepressant Trintellix from 20 mg to 10 mg, and I may start gabapentine or Mirapex for PLMD and RLS because it is getting really bad.  Most likely from antidepressnets.

Should I wait on the study with all this going on?

Can anyone email me at williammouchet@bellsouth.net
to discuss anything you know about
1. Trintellix
2. Mirapex
3. Gabapentine

RE: need new study - Walla Walla - 07-22-2018

Mouchet, Please keep all your posts on one thread. That way everyone can follow along and know what you've already posted.

RE: need new study - Mouchet - 07-23-2018

Ok will do.

Basically I have rls and plmd severe 

I was prescribed Mirapex but did not take it.  He put me on buspar and it was awful.

Now I wake up every 1-2 hours.  

Would like to try gabapentime again, but psychiatrist said it made me too tired.
 Just started wearing off trintellix need something to chill me out
What do you think?

I will try collar...what is the best?

Thanks again

RE: need new study - OpalRose - 07-23-2018

Mouchet,
As much as we are very sympathetic to your situation, we really can't advise you on what medicines to take. This decision has to be between you and your doctor.
Please talk to your doctor and go over your medications with him/her to see what works best for your situation.

I think that the sooner you can get your RLS under control, you will be more successful with Cpap therapy.

RE: need new study - Mouchet - 07-24-2018

I wanted to know if anyone had a home sleep study and if they are valid. How much. Willing to pay out of pocket

RE: need new study - Stom - 07-24-2018

(07-24-2018, 11:16 AM)Mouchet Wrote: I wanted to know if anyone had a home sleep study and if they are valid.  How much.  Willing to pay out of pocket

Home "sleep" studies are good for detecting basic sleep apnea. The home testing machines and sensors can easily tell if you stop breathing and for how long. The typical home sleep study cannot really tell if you are actually **sleeping**. So it will not necessarily diagnose your sleep efficiency. For that the gold standard is the brainwave sensors stuck all over your head that they do in an attended lab study, an EEG. The other of way measuring sleep stages, actigraphy - or how much you move while in bed - can be done at home but it can't, for instance, tell if you are awake or asleep if you are still when trying to fall asleep.

I'd say your concerns are something you'd need to consult a doctor about, who can tell you what kind of sleep study would be appropriate, or when you should have one. The AASM does not consider home sleep studies adequate for apnea diagnostics where there are other factors at play:

Quote:"...the task force found that home sleep apnea testing has not been adequately validated or demonstrated to provide favorable clinical outcomes and efficient care in certain patient populations with complicating conditions. Therefore, the guideline recommends that polysomnography, rather than home sleep apnea testing, be used for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in patients with significant cardiorespiratory disease; potential respiratory muscle weakness due to neuromuscular condition; awake hypoventilation or suspicion of sleep-related hypoventilation; chronic opioid medication use; or a history of stroke or severe insomnia." [emphasis added]

https://aasm.org/aasm-publishes-new-guideline-for-diagnostic-testing-for-adult-sleep-apnea/

RE: need new study - Crimson Nape - 07-24-2018

Supplier #10 offers a home sleep study.  I don't know its cost.

RE: need new study - silentsnore - 07-24-2018

Consider a home sleep study just as a first line triage - the only valid responses are - sleep disorder yes or no.