Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Auto setting on my S9 Autoset - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Auto setting on my S9 Autoset (/Thread-Auto-setting-on-my-S9-Autoset)

Pages: 1 2

Auto setting on my S9 Autoset - Utsarah - 12-03-2012

I've been using my CPAP now for about a month.

I think I've got the "right" mask.

My prescribed pressure is 10.

I have the S9 autoset and I'm thinking using the "auto" setting for the pressure.

My AHI numbers at their highest are 1.52 but are usually less than 1.

Also my husband has sleep apnea and is noncompliant. I went through several of his unopened boxes from the DME provider. I found the climate line hose, but my DME only gave me the regular hose. Is the climate hose superior? I went ahead and hooked it up, but it seems like it makes my nose drier.

RE: Auto setting on my S9 Autoset - PaulaO2 - 12-03-2012

If your AHI is so good at "straight" CPAP pressure of 10, changing to auto may not make that much of a difference. However, if you want to give it a try for a few weeks to see how it goes, I suggest you try a minimum of 8 and a max of 15. After a few weeks, you'll know if the 10 is optimum or not.

The Climateline's sole purpose is to prevent "rainout". Rainout is when water from the humidifier condenses on the inside of the hose and pools in a loop. When it gets a lot there, it will make a gurgling sound that is very annoying. Or it can run back into the mask. The Climateline prevents this by heating the hose, keeping it about the same as the temp of the humidifier so the water does not condense. If your nose is dryer using it, then you may need to either turn the humidifier up slightly. Or even down since too much humidity can be almost as bad as too little.

Tell your husband, who you said is non-compliant, that we want to know what kind of flowers we should send to his funeral.

RE: Auto setting on my S9 Autoset - Utsarah - 12-03-2012

Paula
I am really tired of fighting him on his health issues. Sounds ugly, but I cannot force someone to do what is right!

RE: Auto setting on my S9 Autoset - trish6hundred - 12-03-2012

Hi Utsarah,
What Paula said.
I would also say that there is nothing you can do to "make" your husband use his machine; I mean, sure, he "should" use it and would certainly get GREAT benefits if he did; but, you can't make him, so I don't blame you for not wanting to fight him on it, nagging, (or sometimes even a casual reminder,)can make things worse. I'm sorry he just can't see the benefits of CPAP therapy.
best of luck to you.

RE: Auto setting on my S9 Autoset - zonk - 12-03-2012

its said "you can lead a horse to water ... but you can not make it drink"
don,t be surprised if one day your husband get converted on the road to Damascus and take the machine out of the closet

If you decide to try the auto setting on your machine, please let us know how it goes!

I'm considering doing the opposite. Taking my Autoset to the CPAP setting to see how the AHI does with just one pressure vs adjusting throughout the night. Purely for experimental reasons as I am enjoying getting the full benefit and being in full control over my own health!

I think since my settings seem good I'll just leave it for now. I use my machine every night and I definitely feel better when I use it! My daytime drowsiness has greatly improved!

And that's what really counts.

What you could do, though, is any time there's a big event in your life (new medication, stressful week, etc), put your machine on auto. It will help to adjust. If your AHI creeps up, again Auto will help you figure it out.

That's the good thing about autoPAPs. They can keep up with changes.

Edited to add: Your AHI should stay below 5. But since you know about where your "normal" range is, you'll be able to stop potential problems quicker. Don't wait until your AHI hits 5 to make a change.

RE: Auto setting on my S9 Autoset - Allen - 12-03-2012

I have recently changed my S9 from a fixed pressure of 10 to auto. I had set it with a range of 8 to 15 but as it was showing my average after a week at 12.6, but has now creeped up to 12.8, I changed the range to 10 to 15 because I had become accustomed to the pressure at 10 and starting it off at 8 just didn't feel as though I was getting enough air through my mask.

Paula said in her post that it might not make much difference to your AHI and in my case it hasn't, but I will leave it on auto for a month or so to see what my average AHI settles at.

The main thing I have a problem with is my stupid chin strap!