Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Auto Shutoff Not Working - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Auto Shutoff Not Working (/Thread-Auto-Shutoff-Not-Working)

Pages: 1 2

Auto Shutoff Not Working - wsonner - 08-12-2018

Hi everyone.  I was searching for answers when I found this forum and I'm so glad I did.  So much info here.  I have been using a ResMed Air Curve 10 vauto now for a few months (I've been on CPAP for about 7 years over all) and have noticed with this machine that it seldom shuts off automatically when I disconnect to go the to bathroom or whatever during the night.  Is this normal?  Maybe I'm over analyzing but I was concerned that the sensor isn't operating correctly.  If I hold my hand over the end of the hose for a few seconds and release it then usually this will trigger the auto shut off.

RE: Auto Shutoff Not Working - sheepless - 08-12-2018

i may simply be uninformed but i'm not aware of a quick acting auto shutoff. maybe if pressure reaches >30cm? otherwise how would the machine distinguish common leaks from getting out of bed? i turn off my machine at the pwr button every time i remove the mask. surely no more difficult than placing fingers over the mask. don't know if this is what you're referring to: machine will run for quite a while after off at button switch to cool humidifier & maybe htd tube & will auto off after a tme. maybe others know more about this auto shut off.

RE: Auto Shutoff Not Working - Walla Walla - 08-12-2018

Go into into the clinic manual and under options select smartstart on. Also make sure you have the correct mask selected on the machine.

RE: Auto Shutoff Not Working - wsonner - 08-12-2018

(08-12-2018, 12:41 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Go into into the clinic manual and under options select smartstart on.  Also make sure you have the correct mask selected on the machine.

Smart Start is definitely on. Will have to check the mask settings. Didn't know you could set that. Thank you.

smartstart is (obviously) a kind of auto on but does it auto off as well?

RE: Auto Shutoff Not Working - silversnore - 08-12-2018

It will shut off automatically after 20 or so seconds.  There will be some slight air flow that continues in order to cool the humidifier.

RE: Auto Shutoff Not Working - Walla Walla - 08-12-2018

(08-12-2018, 01:13 PM)sheepless Wrote: smartstart is (obviously) a kind of auto on but does it auto off as well?

Yes it takes a few seconds but it's designed to shut off when you remove your mask.

RE: Auto Shutoff Not Working - Cpapian - 08-12-2018

(08-12-2018, 01:13 PM)sheepless Wrote: smartstart is (obviously) a kind of auto on but does it auto off as well?

On the resmed 10 auto on also includes auto off.  But it's not 100% perfect.   For the few seconds it takes to determine you are gone, sleepyhead will show a leak, which makes sense.  So I just turn it off manually.  

After it turns off, the machine still runs for a half hour to cool the humidifier (as mentioned) and dry the hose.  Not sure if the OP is aware of that.

To the OP, to check the mask settings ..... on Resmed 10 press the round knob once.......you should have two options one to look at results and the other for settings ....... roll to the settings and press round knob once.......then scroll down (by turning the knob) until you find mask settings........ you will have 3 choices, pillows ..... nasal.....full face.....again use knob to the correct choice and press

That's all from memory so not exact wording.

If you still have you users manual for your mask the manual will tell you what setting you need.   I have heard but cannot confirm, the settings are not always obvious.

PS I assumed the menus are the same for all the 10s. If they aren't, let me know.

learned something new today. here it is in the autosense 10 manual: Press Start/Stop or if SmartStart is enabled, therapy will stop automatically after a few seconds.

RE: Auto Shutoff Not Working - wsonner - 08-12-2018

(08-12-2018, 01:43 PM)silversnore Wrote: It will shut off automatically after 20 or so seconds.  There will be some slight air flow that continues in order to cool the humidifier.

That's the thing. It doesn't. It will go on for an hour if I don't manually shut it off. But only sometimes. Sometimes it shuts itself off after a few seconds.  EDIT:  I'm exaggerating when I say an hour. Maybe it really is just cooling off as the poster above mentions and will shut off after the cool down. I'll give it some time and see.  

(08-12-2018, 01:51 PM)Cpapian Wrote:

On the resmed 10 auto on also includes auto off.  But it's not 100% perfect.   For the few seconds it takes to determine you are gone, sleepyhead will show a leak, which makes sense.  So I just turn it off manually.  

After it turns off, the machine still runs for a half hour to cool the humidifier (as mentioned) and dry the hose.  Not sure if the OP is aware of that.

To the OP, to check the mask settings ..... on Resmed 10 press the round knob once.......you should have two options one to look at results and the other for settings ....... roll to the settings and press round knob once.......then scroll down (by turning the knob) until you find mask settings........ you will have 3 choices, pillows ..... nasal.....full face.....again use knob to the correct choice and press

That's all from memory so not exact wording.

If you still have you users manual for your mask the manual will tell you what setting you need.   I have heard but cannot confirm, the settings are not always obvious.

PS I assumed the menus are the same for all the 10s.  If they aren't,  let me know.
Ok. I will check all of this out.  Good information and probably just what I was looking for. Thank you.