Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
back vs. side sleeping - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: back vs. side sleeping (/Thread-back-vs-side-sleeping)

Pages: 1 2

back vs. side sleeping - yankees123 - 08-21-2018

If my sleep study shows a higher tendency for obstructive events when I sleep on my back does that mean when I sleep with my cpap machine I should avoid sleeping on my back?  Or should it not matter since I am on cpap and this should take care of the events that may occur?

RE: back vs. side sleeping - Sleeprider - 08-21-2018

In most cases CPAP enables supine sleeping. Most titration protocols include supine sleep.

RE: back vs. side sleeping - OpalRose - 08-21-2018

yankees123,
There is a higher tendency for obstructive events when sleeping on your back, but if your pressure settings are currently treating your apnea events, you shouldn't have to worry about it.  That's the beauty of an Auto machine...let it do it's job.

What you will notice is that you may need a slightly higher pressure.  If your profile is correct and your max setting is 14.4, just watch and see if you experience obstructives and where the pressure wants to go when sleeping on your back.  You may have to raise the max pressure a bit to accommodate.

RE: back vs. side sleeping - yankees123 - 08-21-2018

Makes a lot of sense thanks to you both.

RE: back vs. side sleeping - Mosquitobait - 08-25-2018

(08-21-2018, 03:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In most cases CPAP enables supine sleeping. Most titration protocols include supine sleep.

It's ok.  You can say 'back sleeping.'  It's allowed. Bigwink

RE: back vs. side sleeping - Sleeprider - 08-25-2018

Hey, when I swim, I always work on my supine stroke. My breast stroke however is getting better by the day. Smile

RE: back vs. side sleeping - holden4th - 08-26-2018

(08-25-2018, 08:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Hey, when I swim, I always work on my supine stroke.  My breast stroke however is getting better by the day. Smile

As a swim coach all I can ask is how free is your style Bigwink

RE: back vs. side sleeping - Ockrocket - 08-26-2018

If you normally sleep on your side, then get yourself sorted with how you run your hose and the type of mask you use so you can continue to do so. 

I am a side sleeper, sleeping on my back causes far too much pain for me. 

There is some medical support to the theory that sleeping on your left side helps to reduce reflux for those who suffer from it ( me for one )
In the past I always slept on my left side, but now that I seem to be developing some form of problem with my shoulder joints, most likely arthritis triggered from the strain on the joints when I used to water ski, I rotate back and forth during the night each time the pain becomes more than I can sleep through.

I use the F&P Eson nose mask, the hose loops up above my head via a clip on the bedhead, and I use a custom pillow I made that is flat and firm.
The mask stays in place 99% of the time when I'm rolling over to the opposite side without a problem.
Even being hooked to the bedhead I found it best to have the hose to one side rather than centred above my head.. this means that when I am on one side the hose is in front of my face, when on my other side it comes from behind above my shoulder across my neck ( I seem to subconsciously move it back from my face again when I rotate back to the side where it is in front of my face again )

On the rare occasions I've tried to sleep on my back, usually because I'm trying to get blocked sinuses to drain, the whole setup still works fine without altering the mask or hose positioning.. so when I do go back to my side sleeping positions during the night I don't have to wake up and reorganise everything.

RE: back vs. side sleeping - Sleeprider - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 03:15 AM)holden4th Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 08:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Hey, when I swim, I always work on my supine stroke.  My breast stroke however is getting better by the day. Smile

I get butterflies just thinking about it.

RE: back vs. side sleeping - jaswilliams - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 07:12 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 03:15 AM)holden4th Wrote:

I get butterflies just thinking about it.

What an individual medley of feelings   Lolabove