Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Please give us some advice guys - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Please give us some advice guys (/Thread-Please-give-us-some-advice-guys)

Please give us some advice guys - Nickynok - 12-06-2012

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, however, not new to sleep apnoea, unfortunately!

Both my dad & brother both suffered terribly & my partner has it too! (Have had a long history of counting whilst waiting for someone to start breathing again!!) lol

Anyway, my partner has had the op to have the roof of his palate shaved away, which hasn't helped (same as my brother) unfortunately, in the Uk we don't seem to get quite as much help as u guys in the states, and my brother (who lives in Florida) has sent us over a Cpap machine for my partner to try out!

Now.....all I need to work out, is exactly what controls do what exactly, so that I can help my partner monitor how well it is helping & what the optimum setting is for him!

Now, I realise you guys can't tell me what will work for him.....but if any of you could give us some advice on what has worked for you, & what settings do what etc, we would be very very appreciative, as both him & I are absolutely exhausted!!!

We have finally got him an appointment at a sleep study clinic at the end of this month, but I realise that as its an initial appointment they are unlikely to do very much for him then, & we will probably have to wait another couple of months for another appointment!! Dont-know (the wonders of the NHS)
Thanks in advance

Nickynok

RE: Please give us some advice guys - JJJ - 12-06-2012

Please post back with the model number of the machine, because how to change the settings varies. You may need the clinician manual in order to change the settings. You can get the clinician manual via e-mail from this board.

I assume the machine came with a mask, 'cause it's pretty useless otherwise. The machine is important (and the most expensive part), but the mask is the hardest part to get right. I went through eight masks before I finally found one that works for me. Post back what kind of mask you have, as that will also help people give you advice.

Most of all Welcome

RE: Please give us some advice guys - Nickynok - 12-06-2012

(12-06-2012, 02:40 PM)JJJ Wrote: Please post back with the model number of the machine, because how to change the settings varies. You may need the clinician manual in order to change the settings. You can get the clinician manual via e-mail from this board.

I assume the machine came with a mask, 'cause it's pretty useless otherwise. The machine is important (and the most expensive part), but the mask is the hardest part to get right. I went through eight masks before I finally found one that works for me. Post back what kind of mask you have, as that will also help people give you advice.

Most of all Welcome

Hiya!!!
Thanks for the warm welcome!!! Thanks

The machine is a Remstar m series, we have two masks with it, a nasal mask (well, I assume that's what u call it!) lol And another one which covers the nose with a triangular shape.....sorry, not very technical information I know!!!

Ahhh.....I did see that where u could email, but when I looked at the pictures of the different models, our one looks bigger.....it has a compartment for distilled water, and a knob to adjust the temperature of the water.....so I wasn't completely sure which model to ask to be emailed over!!! Huh

Thanks again

RE: Please give us some advice guys - trish6hundred - 12-06-2012

Hi Nickynok,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang tight for more suggestions and best of luck to you.

RE: Please give us some advice guys - JudgeMental - 12-06-2012

Hopefully your "partner" is aware of you sharing his physical condition on an open web-site. That said, it is thoughtful that you are looking for help with his apparent sleep apnea problems.

Unfortunate that the shaving of his palate didn't work as hoped. Sleep apnea can sometimes be a problematic malady to diagnose as well as difficult to treat. It behooves you both to read and learn as much as possible about it.

My advice is:: "go slow" on trying to treat your "partner" with trial and error with the older CPAP machine. I doubt that it has much capibility to give much data to be very useful in self tritation. Read and learn as much as possible about the various types of newer XPAP machines. You may just be able to get the latest model from the NHS. I suggest you hold everything at bay until he/her gets the results from the sleep clinic appointment at the end of the month. If it still takes a couple of months after that, so what. He/she has lived and suffered this long, whats another couple of months to wait in order to get good professional medical help.

RE: Please give us some advice guys - PaulaO2 - 12-06-2012

Take the humidifier out of the machine (so the water doesn't spill). Then look under neath the machine. There should be misc. stuff including model number. That will tell us what machine you have so to help you get the info you need.

If it has the word "Plus" in the name, then it is a brick meaning it only reports compliance (hours used) data.

Once we have the name and model number, then we can help further.

Welcome to the board!

RE: Please give us some advice guys - archangle - 12-06-2012

(12-06-2012, 06:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Take the humidifier out of the machine (so the water doesn't spill). Then look under neath the machine. There should be misc. stuff including model number. That will tell us what machine you have so to help you get the info you need.

If it has the word "Plus" in the name, then it is a brick meaning it only reports compliance (hours used) data.

Once we have the name and model number, then we can help further.

Welcome to the board!

CAUTION for M series units:

Respironics M series machines are a little tricky because the blower unit sort of sits on the humidifier, and isn't attached. This may not be obvious until you turn it over and the blower unit falls off.

You also have to take the blower unit off the humidifier/stand unit to see the numbers on the bottom of the blower unit, since the humidifier covers up the bottom of the blower unit. Lift up on the front underside edge of the blower unit to take it out.

On top of the blower unit, near the buttons, they usually say something like "REMstar Auto M series". Let us know what that says, in addition to what it says on the bottom of the blower, if you can find that.

Do take out the "water tank" first before moving your machine.