Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide (/Thread-Cleaning-with-hydrogen-peroxide)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - MrZennie - 09-04-2018

A while back someone posted a great protocol for cleaning their mask and tube with hydrogen peroxide and water.  I searched some threads but couldn't find it.  I'm hoping that person can post it again here in this dedicated thread, thanks!

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - Spy Car - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 03:48 PM)MrZennie Wrote: A while back someone posted a great protocol for cleaning their mask and tube with hydrogen peroxide and water.  I searched some threads but couldn't find it.  I'm hoping that person can post it again here in this dedicated thread, thanks!

Are you sure it wasn't hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar? This combination (sprayed from separate bottles) makes a very powerful disinfectant. But over-kill IMO as soap and water is fine.

Bill

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - Marillion - 09-04-2018

Hydrogen Peroxide is very caustic and I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning your mask or even your wounds (see latest medical literature.) All you need is dish soap and water to keep your equipment clean. Nothing else is needed.

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - Mosquitobait - 09-04-2018

Hydrogen peroxide is only effective for elimination of pathogens if used over the course of several days. Very effective if you have green but not brown algae in your hose (ask me how that happens!), but you have to use it over several days. So, not really effective and certainly doesn't clean anything except blood.

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - chill - 09-04-2018

OK, I just have to ask.  How DOES one get green algae in their hose?   Grin

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - Crimson Nape - 09-04-2018

Mix Yellow and Blue Big Grin

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - Sleeprider - 09-04-2018

Hydrogen peroxide as purchased from the store is about 3-4% concentration. Its foaming action, in addition to being an oxidizer makes it a safe and effective cleaning agent. I use this about once per month in the humidifier chamber, and it cleans places I can't physically reach with other means. By pouring in 1/2 cup and agitating, and brushing, then leaving the solution for a few hours and agitating before rinsing, I get a shiny, spotless result. I don't do microbial swabs, but I would put this method up against most other approaches as being effective and safe.

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - mesenteria - 09-04-2018

...and, as with a solution of sodium or potassium metabisulphite, you don't need a pint of it.  A couple of tablespoons, slosh it around well, let sit, repeat the sloshing, let sit, and then empty and rinse three times or more.  I would think that once a week is lots.

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - bfmccarthy - 09-05-2018

Dish soap and water is good enough to get all of those food scraps off your plate, knife, and spoon and keep you from getting Diareahea.  You trust that product enough to put a spoon into your mouth so why not trust t in your cpap machine.

RE: Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide - AlanE - 09-05-2018

(09-04-2018, 05:17 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Mix Yellow and Blue   Big Grin

Graphic designers would be proud. Big Grin