Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions (/Thread-Clusters-of-Hypopneas-at-beginning-of-sessions)

Pages: 1 2

Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions - milesarcher - 09-09-2018

I have been using a DreamStation BiPap ST30 since the first of the year.  My prescription is Mode ST,  IPAP 14.0, EPAP 7.0, BPM 12 and Ti 10. The ramp was set to 4cmH2O. I am a side sleeper.
Using suggestions from the forum I have slowly reduced my AHI from 10-15 to 2-3 over the past 8 months.  This was without the benefits of SleepyHead since I couldn’t get it to work until the latest beta.  The biggest improvement came with the soft cervical collar.  I tried to not use the ramp, but the pressures started higher and I still had the clusters of hypopneas at the beginning of each session.  I then set the ramp start to 7.0cmH2O but the clusters remained.  So my question is what can I do to reduce the clusters or should I just ignore them and be happy?  I’ve attached a few charts, hopefully of some value.

BTW my Dr is happy that I have an AHI under 5.  But I think that I feel more rested when my AHI is 2 or below.

RE: Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions - yrnkrn - 09-09-2018

Just when falling asleep breathing mechanism changes from wake to sleep and it's common to have central apneas or hypopneas. Some call this SWJ=sleep wake junk.

How about leaks? on all graphs it looks like an increasing leak woke you up.

RE: Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions - milesarcher - 09-09-2018

I think that I have that issue rolling around and jostling the mask. I have tried several pillows, and am still looking for the perfect one. I am currently using a memory foam one from Ikea. I tried a Cpap specific pillow and had no luck with it. Dreammapper shows 100% mask fit and no large leaks.

RE: Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions - yrnkrn - 09-09-2018

We do all sorts of odd things while sleeping and don't remember.
Could you setup a cheap securtiy camera? one night of video, you'll probably know the reason for the leaks.

RE: Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions - PaulaO2 - 09-09-2018

Are you asleep during those events or just getting there and adjusting?

I agree with the sleep-wake-junk.

thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look into the camera options. Knowing about SWJ helps a lot.

(09-09-2018, 03:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Are you asleep during those events or just getting there and adjusting?

I agree with the sleep-wake-junk.

I think that it is a little of both, because I am normally asleep in the 5-10 minute range.  Thanks.

RE: Clusters of Hypopneas at beginning of sessions - Sleeprider - 09-09-2018

I assume Ti is inspiration time max, and 10 seems excessive. At 12 BPM each I/E cycle is a total of 5-seconds, so it would make no sense to attempt to hold Ti for more than 3 seconds. It would help if you minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line.

[attachment=8191]

Here is the revised attachment.  I am using the 1.1.0 beta and the screen grab doesn't work.  The other three attachments on the original post have the calendar minimized.  Thanks.

[attachment=8190 Wrote:Sleeprider pid='271314' dateline='1536536241'][attachment=8190][attachment=8190]I assume Ti is inspiration time max, and 10 seems excessive.  At 12 BPM each I/E cycle is a total of 5-seconds, so it would make no sense to attempt to hold Ti for more than 3 seconds.  It would help if you minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle in the date line.

Sorry, redid the one I missed minimizing the calendar.

Also, i just checked and the Ti was 1.0 not 10  Sorry about the mistake.