Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Newbie first time post [pressure questions] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Newbie first time post [pressure questions] (/Thread-Newbie-first-time-post-pressure-questions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Newbie first time post [pressure questions] - Gideon - 10-09-2018

I still think flow limits are a problem.  Let's try 2 things.
I would like to set your min to 8 cmH2O to aggressively start to attack the Flow limits.  If your AHI jumps fall back to 6.4 (a gentle increase) with the potential to increase slowly .4/.6 at a time.  Leave EOR at 3.  To provide some room also change max to 15.

Also, post a 2 min segment so we can see your flow shape clearly.  

It may be that a BiPAP machine such as the ResMed Aircurve VAuto which would better handle flow limits with an increased Pressure Support (PS) > 3.  (we are emulating PS with EPR 3).  Because your AHI is so low with CPAP most doctors would say that you are adequately treated and as such no to the BiPap

RE: Newbie first time post [pressure questions] - tassod - 10-09-2018

Why would AHI jump by increasing the min pressure? Sorry if this is a dumb question....still new to all this...

RE: Newbie first time post [pressure questions] - Gideon - 10-09-2018

AHI shouldn't jump, but if the pressure increase changes your AHI it can ONLY change to higher (your "numbers" are THAt good.)  The changes are targeted to help resolve some of the flow limits, which is why to look at the 2 min segments.

I hope this is a good screen shot of a 2 minute segment.  Also what should the starting pressure be at?  It is set to 4.0 right now.

Here's another pic

RE: Newbie first time post [pressure questions] - Gideon - 10-10-2018

Flow Limit Samples

In your 2nd sample see how the tops are rounding as the pressure is increased,  That is your machine responding to flow limits.

Your chart is showing  (IMHO) mild Inspiratory flow limitation  (the 4th chart in the samples)
Our goal is to provide you with more "comfort" by removing or decreasing those flow limitations.

RE: Newbie first time post [pressure questions] - tassod - 10-10-2018

So I set the minimum last night to 8.0 and starting pressure at 6.0 and max at 15 and left EPR at 3.  After almost 4 hours I had to take the mask off because of too much pressure and the AHI jumped to 5.0!  attached are screen shots including 2 minute.

Could use a 2 min segment instead of the 18 minute one that also shows your pressure rising in response to flow limits once again.

Because of your discomfort at 15 let's change your max to 13 and try again.  I think it may be the change in pressure rather than the pressure itself that is bothering you.  Time will tell.  It is likely that you will end up with either a fixed pressure or a narrow range.

RE: Newbie first time post [pressure questions] - tassod - 10-10-2018

I thought that if my AHI jumped which it did, I would go back to 6.4 minimum instead of the 8 right now

It's the 15 that caused you the trouble as clearly indicated in your charts.  The concept is to get your pressure high enough without causing you any issues from it.