Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on this breathing pattern? (/Thread-Thoughts-on-this-breathing-pattern)

Pages: 1 2

Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - Madcat207 - 10-13-2018

So, I am hoping the hive might be able to shed some light on this.  I have noticed a pattern, not often, but every once in a while, that just makes me wonder what is happening.  The graph shows breathing gradually declining until it looks look I am startled awake and/or gasping, then go back to sleep. 

[attachment=8777]

[attachment=8778]

I'm not overly concerned since it doesn't happen every night (or even most nights; the two shots I found are the only solidly defined events like that I see in 2 weeks), but I was curious if people have experience with it.  If I had to guess, I would say I am either chin tucking, or blocking my vent/hose somehow, but its only a guess.

RE: Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - ardenum - 10-13-2018

Sounds like central.

RE: Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - Madcat207 - 10-13-2018

I'm not sure I would agree. I mean, I never stop breathing, just the volume gradually goes down until I take a sudden recovery breath. But I never completely stop..

RE: Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - Gideon - 10-13-2018

Not central, but it reminds me of, but is not, CSR.  It is fading slowly but over a too long of a period to be CSR which looks almost like a synchronous sine wave.

I don't know what this represents.  If you have a pulmonologist I'd show it to him.

Well, thanks for posting that.  Bug-eyed I had been just starting to get my severe health anxiety under control... Sigh... (I knew I shouldn't have even posted). 

Anyway, don't have a pulmonologist since moving. But I will now be thinking about it all weekend...  Nervous

RE: Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - Walla Walla - 10-13-2018

Any chance you can post the flow chart along with the flow limitation chart? Your stats don't show much for flow limitations but the chart might show a connection.

RE: Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - Sleeprider - 10-13-2018

I think Walla is in the right track. This appears to be slowly increasing flow limitation or restriction that happens over a long enough time the machine fails to increase pressure. The event terminates in an arousal and recovery breathing typical of RERA.

I will have to take a look when I get home, but I remember a small blip, but nothing huge. 

In my mind it seems like some sort of obstruction, since both have recovery breaths (unlike PB or CSR). I notice if I tuck my chin it feels harder to breath, so I sort of imagined my head gradually tucking till it wakes me ..

AS requested, here are graphs showing leaks and flow limits:

[attachment=8783]

[attachment=8784]

I noticed on one, it does detect some FL before the wake.  I noticed on the other that the leak increases at the same slope as the breathing decreases, so I wonder if it is something related to that. 

As it is, this is such an uncommon event for me, I'm really trying not to overthink it. In fact, I have to go back a full month before I find another similar event (but this one starts with a bigger FL before the decline).

[attachment=8785]

RE: Thoughts on this breathing pattern? - Walla Walla - 10-13-2018

I don't see the flow limitations like I thought I would. I'm thinking a small mouth leak that slowly grows and the recovery spike is you waking up from it.