Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Water coming out of my filter area. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Water coming out of my filter area. (/Thread-Water-coming-out-of-my-filter-area)

Cpap machine wont work after taking a trip - sciencetruth101 - 10-17-2018

Well i have a v8  vpap auto 25.. .
It used to work fine .. but i took a trip and had it in trunk and I left  little bit of water in the humidifier chamber

Now
1.  I can see the small power button thing turn green but
2.  It does not blow air out anymore
3.  The Led screen is blank and shows no numbers or anything
4.  The Humidifier does not work anymore and it does not become hot

Is this fixable somehow?   Did i break it forever by having it in the trunk on my trip ?  or having some water in it mess it forever?

thanks

RE: Cpap machine wont work after taking a trip - mesenteria - 10-17-2018

My money...well...no not really...is on it being an unhappy coincidence.  The machine is well-used, has served you very well, and may have been quite moribund when you lurched that last time and water sloshed into the works.  I have no idea what the repair costs might be, but would it not be prudent to simply replace it with a more modern and more robust machine?

RE: Cpap machine wont work after taking a trip - Sleeprider - 10-17-2018

The S8 VPAP auto is very old and you are overdue for a replacement. I can't think of any practical way that the machine can be repaired, and the problem sounds like a failure in the main logic board. This could be from age, moisture or both. If you have insurance your supplier should be able to help you get a replacement. There are often used and new machines available on Craigslist at much lower cost if that is a concern. Your profile suggests you were using fixed CPAP pressure at 8.0. If that is the case and you dont need separate EPAP and IPAP pressures or the auto function, then a much less expensive replacement is CPAP rather than VPAP. The current model of your machine is the Resmed Aurcurve 10 Vauto, but you could save a lot of money with the Airsense 10 Autoset auto CPAP.

These machines have a lifetime of five years. You can often get more than that, but they are not something you should expect to last forever. Please clarify if I misunderstood your current settings, and we can try to guide you to a new or used replacement.

Water coming out of my filter area. - sciencetruth101 - 10-17-2018

Well my cpap quit working other day.

I just took it apart and water started flowing out of the the filter area ..
so water must have gotten in there.

I put it in front of my fan to try to air out this area of it..
hope it works maybe if dries out

I just took a trip and had water in the humid area like an idiot and i must have soaked the electronics in it

RE: Cpap machine wont work after taking a trip - sciencetruth101 - 10-17-2018

(10-17-2018, 07:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The S8 VPAP auto is very old and you are overdue for a replacement. I can't think of any practical way that the machine can be repaired, and the problem sounds like a failure in the main logic board.  This could be from age, moisture or both. If you have insurance your supplier should be able to help you get a replacement. There are often used and new machines available on Craigslist at much lower cost if that is a concern.  Your profile suggests you were using fixed CPAP pressure at 8.0. If that is the case and you dont need separate EPAP and IPAP pressures or the auto function, then a much less expensive replacement is CPAP rather than VPAP.  The current model of your machine is the Resmed Aurcurve 10 Vauto, but you could save a lot of money with the Airsense 10 Autoset auto CPAP.

These machines have a lifetime of five years.  You can often get more than that, but they are not something you should expect to last forever. Please clarify if I misunderstood your current settings, and we can try to guide you to a new or used replacement.

Yeh i took apart and water came out of the filter thing when i turned it upside down ...
so water must have gotten into the electronics

i'm trying to dry this out .. I took out the cotton filter in back and now put fan on high blowing air into this area

hope it works maybe

thanks for advice

RE: Water coming out of my filter area. - Ockrocket - 10-18-2018

In the past I have dried out electronic items using a hair dryer set on medium heat with some success... but not always.
And it takes a lot of time and patience to sit there waving the dryer around to increase the air movement around the affected areas.. 
With a couple of the more expensive items I spent two or three days of repeated drying sessions, and actually did manage to revive said units... My sanity was severely tested in the process though.  Crazy

RE: Cpap machine wont work after taking a trip - Sleeprider - 10-18-2018

(10-17-2018, 08:03 PM)sciencetruth101 Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 07:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The S8 VPAP auto is very old and you are overdue for a replacement. I can't think of any practical way that the machine can be repaired, and the problem sounds like a failure in the main logic board.  This could be from age, moisture or both. If you have insurance your supplier should be able to help you get a replacement. There are often used and new machines available on Craigslist at much lower cost if that is a concern.  Your profile suggests you were using fixed CPAP pressure at 8.0. If that is the case and you dont need separate EPAP and IPAP pressures or the auto function, then a much less expensive replacement is CPAP rather than VPAP.  The current model of your machine is the Resmed Aurcurve 10 Vauto, but you could save a lot of money with the Airsense 10 Autoset auto CPAP.

These machines have a lifetime of five years.  You can often get more than that, but they are not something you should expect to last forever. Please clarify if I misunderstood your current settings, and we can try to guide you to a new or used replacement.

Yeh i took apart and water came out of the filter thing when i turned it upside down ...
so water must have gotten into the electronics

i'm trying to dry this out .. I took out the cotton filter in back and now put fan on high blowing air into this area

hope it works maybe

thanks for advice

I think you need to start looking for a replacement.  These machines don't recover from saturation level damage.

RE: Water coming out of my filter area. - SarcasticDave94 - 10-19-2018

Yeah, it sounds like it is time to get a new, dry unit. I'd guess the CPAP didn't like getting water on the circuit board. Might as well look into coming back to the future with looking into a ResMed Series 10. If you have the medical insurance to cover, it's well past the 5 year mark to look into getting a replacement anyway.

If you wanna hang onto the old S 8 for sentimental reasons, umm, mounting it onto a nice piece of glossy walnut board would be OK. Smile

Coffee

RE: Water coming out of my filter area. - DeepBreathing - 10-20-2018

For the sake of clarity I'm going to close this thread now. The conversation is continued here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-My-auto-cpap-quit-working-emergency