Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? (/Thread-P10-Mask-Straps-Allergic)

Pages: 1 2

P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - Snorzz - 11-05-2018

I use a P10 mask, which has been working great for me.  However, I have noticed my scalp getting itchier, and more so, until I can barely stand it.  Thought it was dandruff and got some anti dandruff shampoo.  But I noticed that the scalp only itches beneath where the mask straps lie while I am asleep.

Do these straps have a history of causing allergic reactions to the scalp?  If so, any solutions?  I do love the mask and don't want to change.  First use of Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo does seem to be giving relief.

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - Walla Walla - 11-05-2018

You could make some home made covers for the straps and see if that helps.

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - jaswilliams - 11-05-2018

Try wearing a buff skullcap silk scarf doo rag or similar between the straps any your hair

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - Sleep2Snore - 11-05-2018

Bacteria can build up on straps, I get problems after a while using almost any head gear. Wash or if the type you can wipe, wipe it every time you wipe the mask. I wash the chin strap and wipe the silicone head gear. The comfort strips/pads I rinse weekly.
This has stopped my scalp being itchy and the side of my face breaking out in a rash.

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - Sleeprider - 11-05-2018

Moisture from sweating can cause a problem with sores that may seem like a scalp problem or dandruff. Dandruff shampoo won't help, but Nizoral will heal the problem and prevent its recurrence when used periodically. The active ingredient is Ketokonazole. I have this problem occasionally,and it works for me.

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - Snorzz - 11-07-2018

I'm the OP.  Guess I will try some kind of skull cap.  Not much of a seamstress.  I do soak the mask and straps once a week in soapy water and rinse/dry.  I wipe everything down each morning with a germ killing wipe, but the straps seem kind of fuzzy and not sure I should wipe them.  Will also write down the medication the last poster listed, just in case.  Thanks everyone.

I almost never post because things are going so well.  I went from sleeping 3-4 hrs/nite to sleeping 7-9 hrs/nite; feeling much better.  Aside from the scalp itching, the P10 mask is perfect; quite often have nights with zero leakage.

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - snorybob - 11-07-2018

Snorzz:
A dermatologist prescribed me Nizoral for scalp itching caused by an allergy to some medication. Works for me!

Bag-head    snorybob.

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - Fats Drywaller - 11-08-2018

ISTR (am too lazy to look it up) that Nizoral is the active ingredient in some dandruff shampoos.  I assume there are other kinds of dandruff shampoo with a different active ingredient.  Haven't had to use it myself, but I once had to treat an outdoor cat for a very minor (thankfully!) case of ringworm fungus, and an occasional bath using Nizoral shampoo was one method.  Another was Lotrimin (clotrimazole?).

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - willo - 11-14-2018

Snorzz--

I have very sensitive skin. My scalp also breaks out from most commercial shampoos. I do find HomeHealth Psoriasis Wash to be helpful for contact dermatitis type irritation, but you may not need it if you wear a cap beneath your headgear.

Silk is the least irritating fabric to have touching my face, and it also protects delicate hair from breakage. My hair was breaking off and falling out due to a chronic illness, so I started sleeping in a cap many months ago. I wasn't willing to look as crappy as I felt. I used to think I looked silly in my nightcap, but now I have the CPAP to wear, too, and I'm sure I look downright crazy come bedtime.

The silk nightcap I bought on Amazon was listed as "Highdeer" brand, but there are loads of similar items. You want one that's 100% mulberry (natural) silk. "Art silk" is a sneaky term for artificial silk, i.e., polyester or other synthetic, and may make your problem worse instead of better. The item listing for the one I bought is described: "Women's Silk Cap for Sleeping, 100% Silk Bonnet Sleep Cap Night Hat Head Cover for Natural Hair Curly Hair Loss"

It fits easily beneath my CPAP headgear. I wash the cap once a week on the delicate cycle in my washing machine when I launder the silk bedding that is gentle on my aging face and my child's eczema. I figure I won't have to wash my mask headgear much because it is on top of the bonnet and not touching my hair.

The silk is very light, thin, and breathable, so it doesn't make one feel appreciably hotter when sleeping.

I hope you find a solution to your discomfort! I'm glad that your sleep has improved so much. You give a newbie like myself hope. Smile
--willo

RE: P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? - mesenteria - 11-14-2018

It could be contact dermatitis as well, and not really an allergic response.  Moisture, pressure, or even a chemical sensitivity of a kind could all be working in concert.  When you recline, your straps exert pressure. Where they lie in close contact, there is moisture trapped. Even contact with hair not rinsed sufficiently where shampoo residue now has longer contact with your skin (where otherwise the hairs rise away from the scalp and keep much of the residue hiding in the imbrications away from the skin).