Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Questions on changing type of mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Questions on changing type of mask (/Thread-Questions-on-changing-type-of-mask)

Questions on changing type of mask - rich2905 - 12-04-2018

Hi
   Up till recently I have been using a Fisher Pykle simplus full mask. This has worked OK but I wanted to try another one.

I have obtained a RESMED P10 pillow mask.

I have had problems with dry mouth from both as I am a mouth breather.

The reason I want to give the other one ago as I do find the full mask a bit uncomfortable and gives me a bit of rash near my mouth. With summer coming on I reckon the pillow mask would be more comfortable as well.

My question is- I have the pressure set to 15psi fixed. Should I drop this to say 10 or make variable of 10-15.

I don't have a "sleep doctor" to refer to and the local CPAP place is not very helpful either so am on my own a bit.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

RE: Questions on changing type of mask - Gideon - 12-04-2018

Assuming that you are well treated at 15 cmw fixed your initial auto settings should be +/-2 cmw or 13 to 17 cmw

If you post your daily Sleepyhead Graphs a better suggestion could be driven. Please organize your charts per my signature.

Read the Mask Primer as it provides several suggestions for managing mouth breathing.

RE: Questions on changing type of mask - Fats Drywaller - 12-04-2018

In addition to bonjour's suggestions, be aware that with the Resmed machines, when you change mask types you should tell the machine that in the settings: select full-face, nasal, or nasal pillows. There are slight automatic pressure adjustments for the different types. Same with type of hose, narrow or regular, if you're not using the Climateline heated hose (which is detected automatically).

Beyond that, using a different type of mask doesn't require a change in the pressure settings, regardless of machine.

RE: Questions on changing type of mask - rich2905 - 12-04-2018

Thanks for info
I was aware of the setting and did change it

Richard

RE: Questions on changing type of mask - Sleep2Snore - 12-05-2018

Hi Rich,
I would let the machine decide what you need and if you need to use EPR that's fine.
Set low to 10 and leave it to decide how much pressure you need, or set it around 16 if it does not go above 15 normally.
Dry mouth is due to dry air from the CPAP or if you have a Nasal Mask it is usually air escaping through your mouth.
Even with a good chin strap it will still escape out of your lips at times.
The machine if on AUTO will compensate for small amounts of air escaping, but it can only compensate for so much.
I know someone that uses a stretch latex thing for exercising legs from an physio, they come is 2mtr lengths and he made a band to go round his head and over is mouth. Worked for him, but I remember the smell of these things when new, so I never tried it. They are so thin they do not affect his nasal pillows.
I have one of these around somewhere, I must try it to see if it will stop my mouth leaks!