Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes (/Thread-Contec-SpO2-Heart-Rate-stuck-at-a-flat-55bpm-for-three-minutes)

Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - MyronH - 12-19-2018

At 6:10am woke up. Sat up at edge of bed. Noticed my HR was 55bpm, which usually is around normal for me. Then I started doing a few things and got up to the bathroom and sat back down on the bed. HR still was stuck at a flat 55bpm. I felt a little cold, but thermometer said I had normal temp.

My HR stuck at 55bpm for a flat 3 minutes.

I have never seen this happen before. One time in the hospital, they told me I had 2nd degree heart block, and took me off of Metoprolol. I'm on Multaq and Bystolic now. Usually the Contec sensor flucates all over the place, especially when I get up from bed and walk around. This time, it just stayed at 55bpm for 3 minutes. Then it started back up again to flucate when I laid down for awhile again.

Is this some type of heart block or an inaccurate reading by the Contec sensor?

[Image: ZFUDVZd.jpg]

RE: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - Sleeprider - 12-19-2018

My guess is signal loss or data anomaly using interpolated graphing for loss of data input. The SpO2 line looks unusual here too. I think it is unlikely your pulse rate was flat at 55, then suddenly spiked to almost 90. During the missing data period, there was certainly fluctuation, and a significant rise in pulse, but the Contec interpolates the data from the period and shows the last reading (55) until the signal resumes, and graphs a vertical line to the new pulse rate.

RE: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - ardenum - 12-19-2018

Sounds like you had a panic attack because you thought your heartrate was 55 for 3 minutes straight, which in your eyes is abnormal for you. Do you pace yourself? I mean THIS type of pacing, If not I'd suggest you stop taking measurements unless you take them while asleep.

RE: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - PaulaO2 - 12-20-2018

Yeah, I doubt it was actually there for that long. There must have been a connection loss for a bit then returned as soon as you laid back down. Usually thought it drops all the way down but these devices are weird. HOWEVER, we are not heart docs. We are not even docs. And if we were docs, we could not and should not be giving advice for you on a CPAP forum. Contact your GP or heart doc for this.

RE: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - MyronH - 04-25-2019

Hate to bring back and old thread. But I've been having more issues with heart racing when i wake up in the morning sometimes. I had a massive "panic attack" the other morning when I just moved my legs a bit to get up out of bed. This caused my HR to go up to 120bpm and I had to take a beta blocker and Klonopin. Afterwards I had this tiredness feeling in my chest. I've already gone to my doctors about it, and he ordered a threadmill test, and maybe an angiogram at some point.

So I started using the Contec again. to see what was going on. Early this morning, my Contec alarm went off. I had it set to 55bpm. Well it recorded my HR at 45bpm for about a minute, then spiked up to 100bpm+. When the alarm went off, I took out my SpO2 finger monitor and checked pulse with that, and it was reading low pulse of 55 by the time I got to it.

So I do think something is going on with my heart rate some nights.

I need to find a more medical grade option to use at night besides the Contec.

[attachment=11538]

RE: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - Crimson Nape - 04-25-2019

What were your breathing patterns displaying in SleepyHead when this occurred?

RE: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - MyronH - 04-25-2019

(04-25-2019, 10:40 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: What were your breathing patterns displaying in SleepyHead when this occurred?

Breathing appears fairly normal from what I can tell. I had AHI 0. Plus I did use oximeter to also check heart rate, and it read about 55bpm by the time I put it on. So I think the 45bpm actually may have happened, I'm not sure. I've seen this happen occassionally on some nights. I'll go a couple weeks fine, then one night, my HR drops low causing alarm to go off. Then I wake up and HR shoots up to 100bpm+ and can occassionally cause those "attacks".

I'm thinking I have some type of circulation problem in my sleep. I may have poor circulation, then when I stretch legs or move around, the blood is released and rushes around, and then causes heart to speed up. But no doctor can identify this issue.

It is just really odd that stretching one leg, or moving just slightly in morning, after being very still at night, could cause these "attacks".  My psychiatrist thinks it's just "panic attacks", but I don't believe that anymore. It has something to do with me not moving in my sleep, and then when i wake up for first time, I move, and HR shoots up.

This has caused me to go into AFIB in past, so I want to get this identified, but no doctor can help. I should probably go to Mayo Clinic.

[attachment=11542][attachment=11543]

RE: Contec SpO2 - Heart Rate stuck at a flat 55bpm for three minutes - cpapsistah - 05-01-2019

As your doctor or cardiologist if you could have Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). Look up the symptoms to see if you have similarities. My heart race shoots up if I try to get out of bed quickly. I have to slowly get up and it helps me sometimes with my heart rate.