Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SD Card File System - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: SD Card File System (/Thread-SD-Card-File-System)

SD Card File System - DrAHI - 01-02-2019

Hi everybody,

If I want to make an extra copy of the SD card data in the device, what file system should I format the new SD card with?

Thank you!

RE: SD Card File System - PanchoCole - 01-02-2019

While I can't advise you which format to use, the SD card that came with my System One was formatted with FAT32

RE: SD Card File System - Crimson Nape - 01-02-2019

All SD cards come formatted to a FAT32.  SD cards seem to have a higher failure rate as opposed to other data storage devices.  For this reason, I highly recommend that you keep a backup the SD card on your computer.  This makes duplicating your SD card very easy. Just insert a blank formatted SD card in your computer and copy the contents of the backup folder to it.

I hope this helps.

RE: SD Card File System - DrAHI - 01-02-2019

(01-02-2019, 09:06 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: All SD cards come formatted to a FAT32.  SD cards seem to have a higher failure rate as opposed to other data storage devices.  For this reason, I highly recommend that you keep a backup the SD card on your computer.  This makes duplicating your SD card very easy. Just insert a blank formatted SD card in your computer and copy the contents of the backup folder to it.

I hope this helps.

Copy that (pun intended Smile )

Thank you!

RE: SD Card File System - fredex - 01-06-2019

Probably the best way to back up your SD card (since the CPAPs seem to be sensitive to other computers messing with the files) is to extract an exact bitwise image of the card rather than copying its contents file by file.

For Linux users (Unix, maybe MacOS, though I don't know about that one) you can use the "dd" program to do it. then when you need to re-create a card from that image file, you can put the exact same bits back on it. of course, the new card needs to be the same size or larger...

there are probably Windows tools to image a drive, but I'm not familiar with them.

RE: SD Card File System - Crimson Nape - 01-06-2019

The only CPAP that has problems with extra files is the Resmed S9.  It didn't like the System Volume Info files that Windows 7 and higher would write by default.  You can turn this feature off and not worry about it of just slide the Write Protect Tab before inserting the SD card into the PC.  You can still copy the SD card. A10's and other CPAP's don't experience this condition.

RE: SD Card File System - DrAHI - 01-06-2019

(01-06-2019, 05:14 PM)fredex Wrote: Probably the best way to back up your SD card (since the CPAPs seem to be sensitive to other computers messing with the files) is to extract an exact bitwise image of the card rather than copying its contents file by file.

For Linux users (Unix, maybe MacOS, though I don't know about that one) you can use the "dd" program to do it. then when you need to re-create a card from that image file, you can put the exact same bits back on it. of course, the new card needs to be the same size or larger...

there are probably Windows tools to image a drive, but I'm not familiar with them.

So you are suggesting a clone copy?

RE: SD Card File System - fredex - 01-06-2019

Seems safest to me. but if it is something you don't have facilities to do, then any backup is better than none.