Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? (/Thread-Can-heart-surgery-eliminate-apnea)

Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - Solar Rays - 01-12-2019

I've read that untreated sleep apnea can cause heart problems but can heart surgery eliminate sleep apnea?  I had a mitral valve repair and was wondering if I should ask my doctor for a new sleep study to see if it has improved.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank You.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - Sleep2Snore - 01-12-2019

I wouldn't think so for a moment.
However, some people say it reduced the events, but I think they were talking more about heart pulputations.
Though I did read that one claimed it reduced his ahi. Hummm!
Remember tell your surgeon you have sleep apnoea if you have not had surgery yet.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - Stom - 01-12-2019

(01-12-2019, 08:12 PM)Solar Rays Wrote: I've read that untreated sleep apnea can cause heart problems but can heart surgery eliminate sleep apnea?  I had a mitral valve repair and was wondering if I should ask my doctor for a new sleep study to see if it has improved.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank You.

That sounds like a question for an MD. However, if you have obstructive apnea, I would think the mechanism for your apnea (tissues in your airway that relax and obstruct your breathing when you sleep) would remain.

If you have a data recording PAP machine your sleep doctor can look at the graphs from your machine and see if it reports obstructed breathing.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - CB91710 - 01-13-2019

O2 desaturation for extended periods triggered by severe apnea can trigger cardiac events.
I've never heard of cardiac events triggering apnea.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - SarcasticDave94 - 01-13-2019

Since most apnea events are physical throat obstruction based, I would say no to considering improved heart health via a surgically improved heart affecting sleep apnea.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - Gideon - 01-13-2019

In my wife's case it resulted in, after a few twists and turns, an 80% occluded airway that has since been repaired. But then her case is not yours.

It definitely bear the other, the only other alternative, death.

Fred

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - Broomstick - 01-13-2019

It's my understanding that heart problems can cause CENTRAL apnea. So if the problem is central apnea, I would think yes.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - ardenum - 01-13-2019

Heart Failure might cause Central apnea, so if you had low EF due to valve leaking then perhaps it got better, but let me answer your real question. You will have sleep apnea likely till the very end.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - holden4th - 01-14-2019

My apnea was only discovered after I had a triple bypass so I don't think surgery is going to produce a cure.

RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea? - Mosquitobait - 01-14-2019

(01-12-2019, 08:12 PM)Solar Rays Wrote: I've read that untreated sleep apnea can cause heart problems but can heart surgery eliminate sleep apnea?  I had a mitral valve repair and was wondering if I should ask my doctor for a new sleep study to see if it has improved.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank You.

My late Dad had a heart attack and his apnea went away.  He used to snore like a banshee and then not at all after the heart attack.  Several years later, he needed oxygen (diagnosed with COPD 30 years after he quit smoking), but not likely related to the heart attack.