Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? (/Thread-Just-Started-CPAP-Thoughts-on-My-Data)

Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - zzz1 - 02-03-2019

Hi All,

I just started CPAP therapy about three weeks ago.  I've posted a couple of night's data showing a decent AHI and a high AHI.  

When I look at the data on the high night, it looks like much can be disregarded because the flags seem to be around arousal events.  I'm up, playing with the mask, taking it off, trying not to feel stifled with blocked nasal passages from allergies, and basically fighting the good fight of trying to keep the mask on.  I guess with lots of disconnects I didn't totally win.

I'm using the F20 mask and tried the FF Dreamweaver, but I'm one of those people who can't tolerate something touching my nose - I feel stifled by it.  

My take on the lower AHI is that I was able to sleep a bit better and didn't have the same number of disconnects, repositionings, etc. so the numbers are more accurate.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

[attachment=10117]

[attachment=10118]

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - zzz1 - 02-03-2019

(02-03-2019, 08:28 AM)zzz1 Wrote: Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  

Specifically - I don't *think* the clusters in the first chart are a concern, but I would like to make sure I shouldn't be doing something differently in case I'm wrong about that.

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - Gideon - 02-03-2019

You ignore 1-off nights, a series of nights like that needs to be addressed, but not you and not now.

Look at the organize link in my signature, you are missing valuable info, ok for now but please fix for next time. I am referring to the left sidebar

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - zzz1 - 02-03-2019

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry - I misunderstood and thought I was supposed to take out the sidebar.  I'll repost.

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - Gideon - 02-03-2019

no need to repost, you were supposed to remove the right sidebar which you did.
No Calendar or piechart though on the left sidebar though, again no need to repost.

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - Sprig - 02-03-2019

You are new to cpap therapy and often it takes a long time and a lot of trial and error before you get it all right. Your ahi numbers may be all over the chart before you find the right combination. It took me about 2 years. Now my ahi is never above .5 and often .2 or .1 or sometimes 0. For me the key was getting the right mask. I was not comfortable with any of the masks and I tried several different masks. Finally went to sleep pillows and currently using DreamWare sleep mask which is similar to pillows. It worked for me.
Sounds like you are having problems with the mask (there are lots of options out there) and you have a stuffy nose. Talk to your doctor about the nasal problem. There are lots of remedies including steroid sprays, otc sprays and others. Sometimes surgery is the appropriate treatment for nasal problems. Keep experimenting, you’ll get it perfect eventually.

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - zzz1 - 02-21-2019

About five days ago I went back to the DME and got an F30 and had them switch the machine to Aflex (2).  Since that time, for the first time since I started, my AHIs have been under 5.  Usually it is the number of hypopneas that is driving the number up.  I've posted data for the past two days.  I usually run about 1-2 CAs per night, but one of the nights shows 8 (outlier).  Caveat - I did have a drink with dinner on both nights about 3-4 hours before going to sleep.

Also, I can't tell anymore if the clusters after the arousal periods are SWJ.  Suggestions on how to improve further would be appreciated!

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - jaswilliams - 02-21-2019

I would raise the minimum pressure to 7 you had a bunch of hypopnoea when the Phillips dropped the pressure down trying to get back to the minimum of 5

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - Snoring Bear - 02-21-2019

(02-03-2019, 03:12 PM)Sprig Wrote: You are new to cpap therapy and often it takes a long time and a lot of trial and error before you get it all right.  Your ahi numbers may be all over the chart before you find the right combination.  It took me about 2 years. Now my ahi is never above .5 and often .2 or .1  or sometimes 0. For me the key was getting the right mask. I was not comfortable with any of the masks and I tried several different masks. Finally went to sleep pillows and currently using DreamWare sleep mask which is similar to pillows. It worked for me.
Sounds like you are having problems with the mask (there are lots of options out there) and you have a stuffy nose. Talk to your doctor about the nasal problem. There are lots of remedies including steroid sprays, otc sprays and others. Sometimes surgery is the appropriate treatment for nasal problems.  Keep experimenting, you’ll get it perfect eventually.

zzz-   I'm totally new to all this (about 10 days so far).   I recently learned about sinus rinsing;  this is something I've never done! Initially it sounds crude, but it really works to clear congestion before going to sleep.  I've done it two nights in a row and will most likely continue to do so.   Here's a link that explains the process in case you are like me and never heard of it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9mvVe7Mk4&t=8s

And if you are experiencing clusters of events, you may have positional apnea.  I learned about this from SleepRider.  I guess he said 1 in 3 people on this forum have that situation; it can be remedied with a soft, cervical collar.  I'm about to get one today.  Best of luck in your treatment!

Positional Apnea
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Optimizing_therapy#Positional_Apnea  -

RE: Just Started CPAP - Thoughts on My Data? - zzz1 - 02-22-2019

Thanks for that information. I know the stuffy nose problem is going to be huge when I start cutting the lawn again. 

I’m also going to read up on posititional apnea. I wonder if sleeping on my back combined with that martini earlier in the evening got those clusters going.