Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
DreamStation pollen filter knock-off, as supplied by DME? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: DreamStation pollen filter knock-off, as supplied by DME? (/Thread-DreamStation-pollen-filter-knock-off-as-supplied-by-DME)

DreamStation pollen filter knock-off, as supplied by DME? - OneSnorer - 02-03-2019

I got my new DreamStation back in Sept. '18, and the machine came with the blue, stock pollen filter, a real Philips part.

The initial re-supply pack came with a purple one, a knock-off it seems.
Slightly different design, thin body, machine fit not very firm.

Any other users of these non-Philips filters?
Happy with them?

DME probably bills insurance for the genuine part, making a cool 4 dollars. *sshats.

I am seriously considering getting the blue kind on my own, not so much for me, but for the machine.

RE: DreamStation pollen filter knock-off, as supplied by DME? - OpalRose - 02-03-2019

The purple filter is a generic replacement for the blue filter.

You can request from your DME that you want the original blue filter, not the generic. Or you can shop online if self paying. Both seem to be available.

I don’t use a DreamStation, but have used both the original and generic filters on my System One machine, and honestly can’t see much difference in performance.

RE: DreamStation pollen filter knock-off, as supplied by DME? - MitchS - 02-03-2019

I’ve used both with my DreamStation. I wouldn’t have a problem with the generic filters if they actually fit. Not only do they not fit the machine well, it is hard to get the fine filter to snap onto the reusable filter so they will go into the machine properly. 

I’ve purchased the blue OEM filters through Amazon as well as through some of the suppliers on the forum’s suppliers list. While Amazon is cheaper, it can be harder to tell whether you are actually buying the blue filters or not.

RE: DreamStation pollen filter knock-off, as supplied by DME? - Stom - 02-04-2019

I think the generic filters a huge profit item for DMEs. Almost no DMEs even offer OEM filters for my machine, so I haven't even been able to compare the generic "hypoallergenic" filter to the OEM one.

RE: DreamStation pollen filter knock-off, as supplied by DME? - Hydrangea - 02-07-2019

Yep. My DME did that to me. It must be standard practice.

I have a new DME now, and I told them I ONLY want the name-brand filters. It was funny because they told me "Oh, we ONLY carry the name-brand filters." Then he brought to me the filters: name-brand micro-filters, but generic pollen filter. I pointed out to him, and he was genuinely shocked & perplexed. Confused, he said he'd go back and see what was up with that. He came back with the name-brand one.

The reason I want the name-brand ones is because I've heard they are quieter (due to a better fit, I believe?) than the generic ones. And I am very sensitive to sound.